Creating Enclosure out of old Fume Hood in classroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiem

Hi all,
I am a high school teacher and I've just agreed to adopt a 1 year old Bearded Dragon. I am trying to find the best possible habitat for my little guy. I have an unused fume hood in my classroom that might make a good enclosure. It sticks out from the wall and has glass on three sides. Two sides can open with sliding glass doors and there is a window on the third side. I was thinking of securing one of the sliding doors with a white melamine board and leaving the other door to be the one entrance/exit. The hood has a light bulb socket for a reptile bulb, but I could also somehow suspend another bulb from the top. The gas jets are not hooked up and could maybe be covered by basking rocks or something. The sink works and could be used to fill a small tub or pool. What might be a good floor covering? The black counter is soapstone.

He will come in a smaller habitat, which I'll probably keep him in for a while while I set this up. Or until he's big enough to move in.

Can you guys give me some good advice about how to set this up right? Or is this a terrible idea? Thanks so much!!

88675-3040618119.jpg

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Depending on what it's been used for if worry about residue or contaminants that might make he dragon sick

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree. There could be some questionable stuff attached to that hood now. I'd err on the side of caution in this case.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
wash it down with DI water and you should be good. only part which may cause issues is the flooring, being as you may have contaminants on it, but the walls and ceiling will be ok as long as you wash them off. decon just like you would after any lab procedure and your set. that'll be a cool set-up i think. please post pics as you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom