Bedtime digging

Status
Not open for further replies.

BensBeardie

Original Poster
Ok thanks. She had a good scratch again tonight. I've put one over her after she settled. She didn't move though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BensBeardie":3ci5hb16 said:
She's come from a shop, where they have dozens of reptiles. So I'm guessing she wouldn't have much variety.

Would this corn substrate be suitable for digging?

The pet shop uses this in all their vivs.

NO ! DEFINITELY NOT SUITABLE FOR A BEARDED DRAGON'S BEDDING.

High risk of impaction and death if ingested by the beardie.

BensBeardie

Original Poster
It didnt seem right. The other popular one here seems to beech chips. I just found out I have some topsoil, so I'll get some play sand and mix it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BensBeardie":uqjojk4y said:
It didnt seem right. The other popular one here seems to beech chips. I just found out I have some topsoil, so I'll get some play sand and mix it.

<<< beech chips are BAD !!! will kill your beardie if he accidentially ingests any.

I know it's commonly recommended here in Australia to simply lay down a layer of regular (Bunnings) screened play sand AFTER it's be left out in the sun on a wide tarp to dry , even for very young hatchlings (some very vocal breeders who regard themselves as self appointed experts advocate this) , HOWEVER , it is a debateable issue here and many beardie keepers and breeders WILL NOT use sand of any description in their beardie enclosures as a bedding.
The preference is usually to lay a few layers of news print , or kitchen grade paper towelling, or simply loosely laid (no grout or glue) ceramic tiles.

I have paper towelling in my beardie rearing tubs and a mix of loose laid tiles and paper towelling in Rex's tank.

My skinks have Kritters Crumble mixed with natural gum tree leaf litter as their bedding (laid quite thick as they love to make tunnels through it) and they love it. Skinks have different habits.

BensBeardie

Original Poster
It's just for a small dig box. I'm using Lino as my main substrate.
So far she has pooped in the same place each time. Each time my wife was with her! :lol: So I have put kitchen roll down there.
I'm intentending to get "chip shop" paper, which is basically food grade newspaper.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BensBeardie":3a0j9vjq said:
It's just for a small dig box. I'm using Lino as my main substrate.
So far she has pooped in the same place each time. Each time my wife was with her! :lol: So I have put kitchen roll down there.
I'm intentending to get "chip shop" paper, which is basically food grade newspaper.

I'd use something like this (if you want a dig box that is) .... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=227361

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I currently have a seven year old female. Her substrate is coconut (I know, bad. I've discussed it with my vet.) She digs every night before going to bed- I think she just tries to get comfortable. I think is is quite natural for Beardies and that yours would really like a dig bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom