Different bulb needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my Habistat temp probe and thermometer at the cool end. Which I've managed to get to a steady 28c / 83F. But now the bulb is dim and her basking spot is only 32 / 90.(temp gun).

Do I need a higher wattage bulb, so it is less dim? Or put another vent in somewhere? Or move the probe and adjust accordingly?

[edit] Bulb is a 60w halogen spot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the cool side probe controlling the basking light as well or do you have a second probe in the basking spot? 60w doesn't seem very powerful so it should be running near full strength. It may have to do with where you have the probe and the parameters you set. I would base your temps on the basking site and allow the cool side to follow that setting. As long as there is a gradient it should be OK but if it gets too hot you may need extra ventilation or a change in light placement.

BensBeardie

Original Poster
I used a 60W Halogen, as I thought it would give more heat, but I guess all spots are halogen?. I've set probe trying to follow the instructions on the the Habistat site. So it is towards the cooler end.

The probe is little black spot in the pic. Which I have since pulled through.
88387-6644457760.jpg
I don't why this is upside down. I rotated and saved and still the same.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B91MkWxG8EH2NG9MZExDTXctd00/view?usp=sharing

Messing around with things last night. I found that behind the green foliage was a rubber sucker, blocking the vent. As soon is I took this out, the temps and humidity dropped a bit. Also I pushed the probe all of the way through. This changed the temp reading of the probe too, so I had to adjust accordingly.

Temps are better today. A little bit lower 26.5 if anything. Spot is 44/45 C maybe a tad too hot.

Should I move the probe to the other end? What temp should I set it to be? The thermometer I'm using isn't the dial but the one in the pic below. Could you recommend one with a hygrostsat please?
88387-3679136462.jpg
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B91MkWxG8EH2OXBwRmNEMi1mYnc/view?usp=sharing

I've also taken her hide away. She stayed in there too long yesterday and felt cold when I pulled her out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the habistat instructions say to go by the cool side temps, I'd defer to that. I tend to start the other way around and base temps on the basking range but as long as you can monitor both sides accurately it shouldn't matter. I'm glad removing the stopper from the vent seems to have helped. Having proper airflow will make a big difference. 44/45 is a bit high but not overly so. I'd consider it the upper end of a range. There is a nice gradient now though so it will allow for self regulation which is the goal. Unless your tank/house feels overly humid I wouldn't worry too much about humidity. They can handle a pretty wide range. The digital thermometer you have is fine. If you get another, I'd get an infrared temp gun so you can take instant surface readings around the tank. I find them to be quite helpful and they aren't too expensive. Swell Reptiles carries them https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/swell-infrared-thermometer/

BensBeardie

Original Poster
A temp gun was the very 1st thing I bought. :D I wanted a new thermometer, because that one is nearly 15 years old. I know a lot can be unreliable.
I seem to have a good balance now, temp wise. The bulb seems be at a constant level. Although its not getting bright for a while then going off, like I thought it would.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK great. When the bulb is on dimmer setting and it's set at a distance that allows (roughly) proper temps on it's own then the bulb won't need to dim much. Mine usually sits anywhere between 65-100% during the day and doesn't dim to off unless it's around sunset when it's programmed to slowly lower temps and brightness. Most of the time the dimming won't be very visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom