Bedtime digging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every night when the lights go out, Leela starts scratching around.
Is there any sort of bedding I should put down? She just has a Lino floor at the moment.
I have considered making a dig box at the weekend.
88387-8592743831.jpg
This Is her bed for the night.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
She could be trying to lay or she could be trying to get a darker area before sleeping. Mine scratches around to get the towels I have in her hide in her preferred arrangement before taking a nap. lol

BruceLarryOzzie

Hatchling Member
My 5 mo old Larry has always scratched at the floor before laying down. Even if there is nothing there. He especially does it if he sleeps in his hide.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Toothless (my 11.5month old boy) does that, he essentially tears up the paper towelling he has overtop of his "heatslab" (7 W heatpad sandwiched between 2 layers of ceramic tiles) and often winds up under the paper, kinda like he tucks himself in.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Anytime I've taken Scaley camping she's gone into the leaves and dug herself into the substrate. She covers herself in forest floor material which camouflages her then she takes a nap.

It's a natural behavior. You might think of giving you little guy an area where it can do that in your enclosure. Maybe it's feeling exposed?

BensBeardie

Original Poster
JessPets":3wk452dt said:
She could possibly be gravid, even if there is no male. Can you feel any eggs in her?
I wouldn't know what I was feeling for. Is she old enough? She's only 10 months.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
They can be sexually mature at 10 months. I could never feel the eggs in my dragon so don't take that as the definitive way to tell. Have you sexed her at all?

Is she glass dancing? scratching around and looking for places to hide?

BensBeardie

Original Poster
She's still fairly quiet at the moment. Although this evening she did explore her viv for about 15 mins. She was running round licking things, scratched at the clock / thermometer a couple of times and crawled through her tunnel too. The most active we've seen her.

She's eaten the most today too. So far I've worked out, she doesn't like Kale, peppers, or grapes.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
They're so funny. Mine loves Kale, but the guy who had her before me only fed her kale and raspberries. Not a great and varied diet.

You could try making her a lay box to see if she wants to dig around

BensBeardie

Original Poster
She's come from a shop, where they have dozens of reptiles. So I'm guessing she wouldn't have much variety.

Would this corn substrate be suitable for digging?

The pet shop uses this in all their vivs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My dragon likes to burrow into fleece blankets to sleep. Setting a pile of fleece scraps for her to dig around in might be helpful. It's soft and relatively easy to clean if it gets dirty.

BensBeardie

Original Poster
I have some microfibre cloths. Should I just cut them up into smallish pieces she can get under and leave in a pile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom