Brumating? Im not convinced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Im not convinced Fuzzy is trying to brumate as hes still eating but has been hiding for about a week. The weather has been really hotagain which is sending the cage temps up again. Do you think he could be hiding because hes too hot?
Thing is there are much cooler parts of the cage but he chooses to lie behind the leaves next to his basking spot.
Ive also noticed last couple of times im got him out his beard turns black. Do you think somethings scared him?

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Checking just now it had gone up to 45c ive opened the glass to let the heat out.
This weather needs to make up its mind.

88016-6196627477.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Smaller wattage basking globe ....

.... think that you may have hit the nail on the head, his basking spot is too warm for him so he's staying where he's more confortable (bearded dragons have a preferred body temperature of 36degC).

He's a cheaky little fella .... look at that big smile on his face .... got mommy running around like a chook whos had it's head chopped off .... "she's funny to watch" .... :)

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I reckon he knows what hes doing lol.

I swapped the bulb this morni g from 100w to 50w.

My living room gets the sun in the afternoon so makes it even hotter.

I also wanted to ask in the insides of his mouth ie each corner it looks kinda like a greeny yellow is this normal?

Ive taken a pic but it wont let me up load it. Not sure why.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Karenxx67":1tsubulk said:
I reckon he knows what hes doing lol.

I swapped the bulb this morni g from 100w to 50w.

My living room gets the sun in the afternoon so makes it even hotter.

I also wanted to ask in the insides of his mouth ie each corner it looks kinda like a greeny yellow is this normal? Yes.

Ive taken a pic but it wont let me up load it. Not sure why.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok so today my chunky monkey refused food. He hasnt done this before an he has been hiding for a couple of days behind the leaves. When i came home this afternoon he had done a poo and was inside his cave. Hes never been in there b4.
Im wondering that the refusing of food an the poo later in the day maybe clearing himself out and now him being in the cave, do you think this could be the start of brumation?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
How old is fuzzy? and no black beard?

Mine started that same behaviour before she started her long nap. I have towels in her hide and she moved those around to plug up the entrances. They would usually bury themselves in some kind of substrate, if you wanted to you could get some cut up strips of towel or some such so he can burrow a bit to get comfy.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hmmmm makes sense now. My daughter and i just watched him scratching around as if digging.

We were told he was 8 months when we got him at end of Aug.

Will he come out at all. Should i still offer food?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Well 8 months is too young to be brumating, they shouldn't be doing that before a year old. Mine just turned 2 and this is her first brumation.

Is it possible Fuzzy is a girl? It's about the time for you to be able to tell as Fuzzy should now be sexually mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom