40 Gallon Tank Light bulb suggestion-Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtr520

Hello all,
I have a 40 gallon tank and its for one bearded dragon, Smaug. I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly but I just want to be sure. What is the appropriate wattage for basking in the 40 gallon tank? Before I used a Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts. I got a feeling that i should do a 160 Watts instead. I use a Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture and use one side for the bulb and place it on the screen on top of the tank. Please can you help me? Am I doing this right or should i use 160 Watts instead or I should buy a different one?

Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on how high you build the basking area. If you go with the 160w, it should sit about 12'' above the highest basking spot for best UVB output. You could hang it from an adjustable lamp stand to put it up over the top of the tank a bit higher. You'll need to ensure you're getting proper temps across the tank from that height though.

I prefer using separate UVB and heat lights in the main tank to ensure I have proper heat and UVB gradients. I have a T5 22'' Arcadia UVB tube that sits 12'' above the highest basking area and a 90w halogen flood light providing heat and bright white light over the basking area. I use an MVB but it's a portable that sits 12'' above the floor in the living room.

timtr520

Original Poster
Hey Thanks for the respond. sorry for late response. Is there any issues with Powersun? I heard mix things about it. The image below is my set up. Please can you provide me feedbacks? The tank is 36"Lx18"Wx18"H– 40 gallon and currently using a Powersun 100W. If i use a powersun 160w, i can just flip or arrange the tree branch. Is this good? or should i upgrade the to 160w?

FYI, the reason i used newspaper because she used to have yellow fungus...=( Smaug is three years old and shes healthy loving lizard.

30099962835_7f57b15d0d_z.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks good. The distances I provided were for the 160w which in my opinion is a better option for a large tank. With the 100w, I'd shoot for more like 10in above the highest basking spot for best UVB output. You may need a CHE or halogen basking light in addition to achieve the proper temperature gradient though.

timtr520

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ltlo776 said:
It depends on how high you build the basking area. If you go with the 160w, it should sit about 12'' above the highest basking spot for best UVB output. You could hang it from an adjustable lamp stand to put it up over the top of the tank a bit higher. You'll need to ensure you're getting proper temps across the tank from that height though.

I prefer using separate UVB and heat lights in the main tank to ensure I have proper heat and UVB gradients. I have a T5 22'' Arcadia UVB tube that sits 12'' above the highest basking area and a 90w halogen flood light providing heat and bright white light over the basking area. I use an MVB but it's a portable that sits 12'' above the floor in the living room.

I guess I'll go for the T5 22" arcadia UVB and get one of 100W for heating so i can at least spread the UV rays throughout the tank. What device do you use to power the T5 22" Arcadia UVB? I want to place it on top of the screen like how i did with my Dome Dual lamp. Any suggestions? If possible can you post a pic your set so i have an idea? Thanks alot man. Really appreciated =)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The one from LightYourReptiles comes with a reflective fixture/ballast so you just plug it in and it's ready to go. You can sit it right on top of your tank. I have my screen pulled off but you can shine it through a screen too if you want. *note that mine is the 36'' setup which I feel is too big. I use clear plastic over the cool side (right) to limit UVB output and create a nice gradient. I would cheat a smaller fixture to the left so it sits right over the basking area.

76248-8383156387.jpg

timtr520

Original Poster
So is it recommend that the whole tank need to be lighted up with UV? or should it be half? I'm trying to research, what is ballast? Sorry i'm very new into using that light source. I'm thinking of getting this,

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-base-unit-no-bulb/

Is this good? If i get that one, would this light bulb fit?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQU8HAO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for the help! I really appreciated!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It would work with any bulb. The fixture it comes with is a grow light T5 fixture. You can use a ReptiSun 10 replacement bulb if you'd like. The Arcadia bulb it comes with is also excellent. You shouldn't need to replace it until at least a year out. Maybe 18 months.

timtr520

Original Poster
Awesome! I just want to say thank you so much for helping! I bought the items from the site you provided. Smaug would be really happy. Thanks man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom