Poop and food question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceLarryOzzie

Hatchling Member
We have had Ozzie and Bruce for one month now. We believe they are about 14 months old now. For the first 13 months of their life they lived together. They had a heat lamp but I'm not certain they had a UVB. They had sand in their viv and I'm not totally sure of the enclosure size. The owners were giving them away (on Craigslist) because the kids no longer took care of them. They were stinky and stained with poop.

So we have adopted them for the time being.

Their diet was mainly veggies, dried meal worms and crickets once in a while. I do not think they ever bathed them. They had a lot of built up shed on their tails. Especially around the bite marks :-(

I'm happy to say that they seem to be doing well with us. They live separately, have both shed and have very good appetites. They have been to the vet and were diagnosed with pinworms so we stated them on panacur.

Here are my questions:
1) exactly how much should they be eating? I give them greens everyday. Ozzie can eat a ridiculous amount of crickets and I'm thinking this might be backing him up. I also give them strawberries, grapes, and figs once in a while.

2) their poop is so totally gross. They only go once every three day and it's a gigantic pile of poop and a bit of urates surrounded by a huge puddle of liquid. At first I thought it was from the move, stress, New humans, and their old diet/sand. However, it's been a month now and the poop is still gross.

They have a basking spot of 105-110 with the UVB over the same spot and spend most of their day there. I take them out to play daily. They get baths e/o day or twice a week.

Our baby Larry has totally normal formed poop. So I have a basic idea of what it should look like.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear they're doing a bit better. The Panacur should be pretty effective against pinworms with minimal side effects. The excess wet poop may be a sign of something else or it could just be an upset stomach. Offering some probiotic like the Reptophilus from here http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/ may help. If not, then an updated fecal test might be worth doing. If you can provide a sample right at the vet's office a slide can be made and checked for flagellates. The sample needs to be quite fresh for that to work though.

As far as food goes, they should probably be transitioning to veges at this age but it may take some extra time due to their previous care. Keep up with salads daily but also offer bugs daily or every other day for now. Crickets are OK but they are also known to make poop pretty stinky sometimes. If you suspect they're causing a backup, a softer option like black soldier fly larvae or silk worms may be a good option for a while. Their salads should contain a few different items on a rotating basis depending on what's fresh at the store. I usually reference this list for ideas. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

BruceLarryOzzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I will order some other insects. They seem to be willing to eat everything.
When they are primarily eating veggies, how much will they eat? Half cup? 1/4 cup?

Ironically, Ozzie pooped right at the vets! I do not know if they checked for anything but pinworms and coccidia.

Thank you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Their appetite will vary. Sometimes my dragon will clear two bowls (maybe 1 cup ish) and some days he'll eat nothing or nibble at a few pieces of squash and that's it. I just make a bowl available to him daily and the leftovers go to the roach colony.

Ah that would have been ideal. It's not a standard test though so the vet may not have thought to check for them. If you can get a fresh sample on the next visit I would ask them about it. Just need to prep a slide from a fresh sample and take a look under a microscope. If there are flagellates you'll see them moving around all over the slide.

BruceLarryOzzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
EWWWW!!!!

I'm going to have to look them up now!

I got some probiotics from beautifuldragon and will start including them with their food.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom