Red light basking lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Ok so my dads now broken three of Carlos's basking lights in about 3 weeks so we had to use an old red basking bulb that we used for my old beardie but he broke that too so we went to the shops but they were out of stock of normal bulbs so we had to get another red one, I've heard the are bad for his eyesight but we have been using it for 1-2 weeks and will maybe have to use it for another week till we can get a normal one. Will he be okay or will his red light be damaging his eyes in the long run? Thanks much appreciated! :mrgreen: :D :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Red lights aren't damaging but dragons have excellent color vision so it's probably weird/stressful to them. Imagine if all the lights in your house were replaced with red ones, for example.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You don't need a reptile specific basking globe, a focused clear colourless incandescent (like a Philips par38) is perfect as a basking lamp , and probably a lot easier to find in any hardware shop, lighting shop or in the hardware and lighting isle of the local supermarket.

I never buy stuff from pet stores (mostly because of animal treatment) so what I do for bulbs is just buy the GE brand of halogen bulbs. Theyre around 2$ at Walmart, they use less electricity, and get the job done. Don't waste your money buying over priced bulbs. It really helps. I usually get a 2 pack for like 4 bucks and if one burns out I have my backup right there. Hope this is a helpful tip for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom