Phoenix worms as main staple

Status
Not open for further replies.

smauggle

Is anyone using Phoenix worms over crickets as the main part of their dragons diet? Dubia roaches aren't available in Canada, so not really an option for me.
At $10/150 worms I'm wondering how fast a 10 week old beardie would fly through these things. I have no baseline as of yet - I pick up my little guy tomorrow night, will get some crickets and a few waxworms (bribes) from a local pet store until my bulk order next week (supercricket online is out of stock for Phoenix right now)
I keep hearing horror stories of crickets escaping their cages and finding their way into the walls, and if I can spend a few extra dollars for piece of mind, I'm ok with that
Any input or previous experience is appreciated, thanks guys!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Phoenix Worms can be used as a staple but it will get quite expensive. During a growth spurt a dragon could put a big dent in a package of them at once (especially because they're so small). They are a good feeder to offer, so I'd keep them on hand as a supplementary feeder, but I'd use the crickets as a staple because they're much cheaper in bulk. I used to order about 1,000 per month and it worked well enough. I just kept them in a 20g tank with mesh top but a rubbermaid bin with a hole cut in the top and screened over for ventilation should work well.

smauggle

Original Poster
Wandered into petsmart last night for some crickets, got talking to an employee who is a new beardie owner as well. She very quietly told me about a local store that specialized only in feeders. I picked up 2-3 week crickets and waxworms for a fraction of petstore prices. Local mom and pop shop, and this is what they're feeding their crickets - I was super impressed
(Sorry it went sideways)
[ximg]84379 1252386426[/ximg]

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like a much better source. The pet store prices are nuts. As I recall Petco is at around 12-14c per! Online you can get them between 1-2c each.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Was it Herp Diner? I've just been introduced to it and I'm hoping to get over there to check them out. Scaley doesn't need worms right now but it would be nice to have more options than what Petsmart has, with the added benefit of being local.

smauggle

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":330o9qmk said:
Was it Herp Diner? I've just been introduced to it and I'm hoping to get over there to check them out. Scaley doesn't need worms right now but it would be nice to have more options than what Petsmart has, with the added benefit of being local.

It was, I really can't say enough great things about that store, it's currently the only place Boris gets his live food from. The lady who owns the place is named Simone, and she had a huge wealth of knowledge on all things reptiles.

Highly recommend checking them out, hope it works out for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom