Mouth rot or no? Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Okay, so first off I was pretty sure she didn't have it but now I'm not sure and I'm here for a clear answer. Sapphire has had crust on her lips, which I did post about and then decided it wasn't mouth rot, but I finally was able to get my brother to help me with getting her mouth open and shining a flashlight in her mouth so I could see properly and it looks weird. There's a white raised line behind her teeth on the side with the crusty lip but not on her other side (which has no crust). I did gently scrape at it to see if it was able to come off in case it wasn't supposed to be there (gently in case it was) but it didn't scrape off, the entire thing just kinda pushed back. There's no red in her mouth. There also is a ton of yellow- plaque buildup? She eats crickets weekly and squash sometimes, so I shouldn't think plaque would build up that bad? Her diet isn't an extremely soft one. Is that normal, the yellow? Is there anything I can do if it's not?

Side with the crust and white stuff:
image17.jpg

Side without:
image18.jpg

Also- does gently pulling on their beards hurt? I know it's a way to get their mouths open and it was the only way to keep hers open at all long enough to see properly or get a picture. She didn't seem to care at all- no trying to get away, no stress marks (not many anyway, I'm sure the whole thing was somewhat stressful), and no blackbearding, so it doesn't seem like it would hurt her, but I still felt bad about pulling on her beard like that :/

If it's not mouth rot, is it normal? Or something else? Thanks for any help, she's stressing me out with this, I don't want her to be in pain or discomfort.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't see sores or deterioration of the gum tissue that I often see with mouth rot. Some dragons have a more yellow tint to their mouth/gums than others and it's natural. The white area looks like gum tissue to me but I'm not certain. Is she having any trouble eating or showing lack of appetite that may indicate her mouth is hurting? The relatively hard shells from the crickets should help keep her teeth clean. You can pick up some MaxiGuard gel which is an oral antiseptic that can be applied to her teeth and gums with a q-tip if you're concerned about it. If her gums start to recede or if you see sores then a vet visit may be warranted but her gums look OK to me in those photos.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What's the white strip that's behind (looks above kinda) her teeth in the first picture? It's only on the one side, so it can't be normal is it?? She has had lack of appetite, but I'm not sure if it's burmation as she's been hiding and sleeping a lot on and off or if she just doesn't want her greens anymore since she goes after crickets without any hesitation and always looks for more or if it's uncomfortable to eat. She's being really random and picky, and sometimes basks and sometimes doesn't. It is the white strip that has me concerned though- simply because she's got it on one side but not on the other and I've never seen it before. Also I was hoping it would give an answer to why she's got a crusty lip.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure what that part is. It looks like tissue but if it's only on one side it may not belong.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She was gaping, so I was able to see both sides better. It seems to have shifted and now a bit on both sides. It might be normal?? Honestly I've got no clue because I've never seen it before, and I've seen her mouth a ton while gaping. She seems to have a couple missing teeth, but I know that's normal when they're older. At least it's probably normal, even if I'm confused about it. At least it's not mouth rot

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it doesn't look like mouth rot based on the examples I've seen of it. Can you post some more photos of the area? I'm still not sure what it is but my guess is some kind of tissue buildup.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry, I was at a different house than sapphire so I couldn't get any pics until today.

image20.jpg

image19.jpg

You can see the white strip in both. Almost looks like toothpaste does.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That still looks like extra gum tissue or a fold of tissue from under the tongue. I'm not sure what else it could be. I'm sorry I can't provide a better guess for you on it.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright. I didn't think it was mouth rot since it doesn't look like what I've seen, but wanted to be sure it was normal since I've never seen it before. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom