HELPHELPHELPHELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
So, as some of you may know, Clementine is new and was not doing so well in her new cage. This morning, and all night she was "asleep" in her cage with her head up and mouth open. I though maybe she just slept like that. Well, I left for school before her ligths went on so she was still like that. Now that I am home, her lights have been on for almost an hour and a half and she was still down there completely unresponsive with a very very black beard and no movement. We moved her to the basking spot to see if she warms up but I am so scared. She hasn't eaten anything so she shouldn't be choking on anything, she also pooped yesterday so I can't see this being food rot or anything. She wasn't showing any signs of MBD or anything. Could she just be brumating and just not waking up? I'm seeing if she will warm up and wake up but I am really scared. Please help guys :-(

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":185i2qw4 said:
That is not brumating. She needs to go to a vet asap.

Black beard = distress

Brumating she'd just look like she was sleeping and have no black beard. Is she breathing?

We do not think she is breathing. We tried soaking her just now but nothing.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":1v5f3uog said:
Is there any kind of neruomuscular response? No breathing? She won't warm up?

This doesn't sound good Gyro.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Her body is warm after the bath just now, but still no visible breathing.
I'm calling a couple vet clinics right now to see if they can see her right away. I'd rather be told for sure that she's gone than accidentally bury her alive

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":gglifxfa said:
If she is warm that's a good start. Is she limp?

Completely limp yes. Her head is all floppy, as are her arms and stomach and legs and tail. The only thing that is still is her jaw which will not stay closed.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":2x8ko8h1 said:
If you put him on his back does he attempt to move at all?

Yeah, she had no reaction at all. This is very upsetting. I dont know what I did wrong. I'v only had her for two days and I thought it was just stress from the new move.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yesterday evening she kept like falling asleep and her head would start to go down but then she would jolt awake. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
None of the nearby vets have any open spaces available right now. Well. This is upsetting. Time to call the breeder and ask questions

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
"hugs"

:(

Hopefully this doesn't sour you on the amazing creatures these guys are. You haven't had her long enough for this to have happened due to husbandry. I would definitely call the breeder.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Welp, i'm calling it. It has been about 4 hours since her lights cam one, plus many attempts to wake her, and no response at all. No signs of life. No breathing, no pulse (from a stethoscope my mom has). I will be contacting the breeder later today and asking for some information. Not for my money back or a new dragon, but just for him to check his other ones. On a side question, since Clementine died in her cage, should I disinfect everything before getting a new beardie or would it be okay? She didn't release anything from her body upon passing. I'm just so baffled. She was acting like she was about to go into brumation and that added to being a new cage, I though she was just stressed. She was a good weight and had good reactions and yesterday was moving all around her cage and seemed to be doing better. She ate her phoenix worms the other day and passed them normally. No excess gaping or mucous in the mouth that I can see, no visible signs of MBD. I guess sometimes these things just happen.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Completely disinfect everything in the cage before bringing a new dragon into it. If you can get some F10 that's best if not, clean and bake anything wooden, if you have a steam cleaner use that as well to kill any bacteria.

It could have been something internal, she didn't look sick from the pics. And you had her a grand total of 4 days? If it was something husbandry related it wouldn't be from your setup, reptiles take a while to show symptoms. It's normal for a dragon to be somewhat "off" for the first few days of a new environment, so the behaviour you saw the first few days were on point.

I hope you get a new beardie, they are truly amazing companions and your experience isn't usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom