Not open for further replies.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
What layers are you using?
What do you use to separate the layers?
Where can you get clean up crew(bugs)
What plants are safe for beardies?
Final thoughts after using?

Seriously considering this type of set up. Any input is welcomed.

Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have room for a large enclosure I think it's a good option. You'll need to have space for relatively deep substrate so something like 4x2x4 or 4x4x4 would work. I don't have experience with the setup myself but Taterbug has a really nice one. She may have some good ideas for you.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Layers : By now it is all mixed up. Drainage is egg crate light diffuser and a soil/sand/coco coir mix. It's heavier on the soil deeper down and more sandy at the top. Leaf litter on the very top.

Separate if layers : I have weed block over the drainage but that's it.

Cleaners : Josh's frogs, NE Herpetoculture and some others sell cleaner bugs. I also collect wild ones (isopods) and add feeder bugs (roaches and superworms)

Plants : Any edible plants would be fine (I've tired greens, nasturtiums, cat grass, wheat grass, succulents and mother in laws tongue) you will end up wanting to find beardie safe plants since they will get trampled. Mother in laws tongue has proven the most durable for me but it's in rough shape from being climbed on.

Been using it three years + and I'm not going back. My beardie, three snakes and feeder roaches are on bio.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Your tanks are amazing. I think I'm going to have to start planning a new tank structure for my girl. I could probably get an old dresser from the thrift store and convert it.

Much like moving to a planted fish tank this seems like an excellent evolution in animal care.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
SpacialCoogs":gmdr6zn2 said:
Your tanks are amazing. I think I'm going to have to start planning a new tank structure for my girl. I could probably get an old dresser from the thrift store and convert it.

Much like moving to a planted fish tank this seems like an excellent evolution in animal care.

Totally agree and it's a very similar concept (ammonia cycle, less mechanical cleaning more systemic cleaning). It's very popular with more sensitive species and provides good enrichment if planned well.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hey, just wondering, would this raise humidity a lot, you know, with live plants and all? Or is it not a big deal? Just asking because where I live it is already at 45-60% everyday.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
JessPets":3gm8ste7 said:
Hey, just wondering, would this raise humidity a lot, you know, with live plants and all? Or is it not a big deal? Just asking because where I live it is already at 45-60% everyday.

If you don't have a well ventilated enclosure then maybe. The leaf litter helps keep the soil moisture where it belongs and succulents/low moisture plants don't seem to transpire enough to raise humidity. My beardie and hognose enclosures are both "arid" and I have not had humidity problems with either. Considering the heat in them the relative humidity is always lower than my house is at.

I think a lot of people over worry about humidity. 40-60% is on point with beardies native range.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Got it set up. I'm using my 75 gallon (saw another guy on the forum who did the same)

Drainage-red lava rock about an inch
Separation-weed blocker/garden fabric
Soil-50% child's play sand, 40% organic garden soil, 10% eco earth(had some leftover from leopard gecko
Top layer will be live oak leaves mostly after I rake it up lol

Will order cleaners after honeymoon haha.

I'm excited about the build so far. Lots of work and hopefully worth it.

I will be doing all my tanks bioactive. Still gotta do the leopard gecko and the water dragon :p

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Can you post pics of your finished setup?

I'm thinking I will set something up myself and I'm trying to convince my husband to expand our reptile family to a gecko so that leopard gecko enclosure is also of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom