beardy making strange noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anguirus

so a two or three days ago my dragon was making dry heaving noises, and after a quick google search it said either she might have something in her throat or she has a respiratory infection
since i haven't changed anything since i got her a year ago (other than a larger tank + a hammock) i figured it couldn't be an RI so i put her in a bath, she drank some water and was fine for the rest of the day.
next day all was fine until late in the afternoon, she started making noises again and this time i thought it might've been because it was time to clean out her tank and maybe some dust or dried leaves got into her throat. i cleaned out her tank, gave her some more water and she was fine again
now she was fine all morning again, until a few hours she started making more of a coughing sound, like when a person is trying to get phlegm out of their throat and i'm worried now, could this be an RI? her temps stay at around 95 at her basking spot on her hammock, and on the cooler side it's about 70-80, but it's been cooler outside lately so i've been keeping the window open to get some air in, and i'm worried that maybe it's gotten too cold for her because of it?
i'm seriously worried about her, any help would be amazing!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Is there any mucous coming from the nose or stringy mucous when she opens her mouth? Can you hear her breathing? You might want to up temps to 98-100. What is the humidity usually at? Have you changed the uvb in the last 6 months?

Anguirus

Original Poster
1) no mucus in or around the mouth/nose
2) cant hear her breathing from my desk (about a yard and a half away) nor can i hear her if i hold her to my ear
3) ill see what i can do about temps, might have to get another bulb or something
4) humidity wise, i'd like to say its 40... ish? her humidity gauge broke recently so i cant remember the exact number. she also has a large bowl filled with about an 1/2 an inch to 1 inch with water for humidity purposes (she also drinks from it occasionally), since without it things would drop to 10-15%
5) bulb was changed 4-5 months ago (but i'll be going to a reptile expo in a month and thats where i usually pick up new supplies and new UVB bulbs for all my scaly pals are on my 'grocery' list)

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Does she seem to be doing it after she's eaten a certain thing maybe? Was she shedding around the nostrils recently? I can't really think of much else hmm....

Anguirus

Original Poster
about the food question, i first noticed it after she ate a bit of dry dandilion greens (might've accidentally missed a piece when i was taking out her bowl when she was done eating) but once she drank some water it was fine
i dont see any stuck shed on her, but then again she's starting to get dull in color and is due for another shed soon anyway
and while you didnt ask, i'd also like to note that shes been eating and pooping just fine

could it be possible that she just has some throat irritation from said dry leaf? she does seem to be getting better (aka i havent heard her make any noises today) and last night it wasn't nearly as bad sounding/as frequent as when i first noticed it which is why im thinking it might be some irritation
that or maybe a little cold/allergies if thats possible, because my allergies are at full blow right now haha

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
It's possible something got stuck in her throat. I would just watch if she keeps doing it in the coming days and watch for any mucous.

Anguirus

Original Poster
will do! it's normally around the time i start hearing her again and still nothing, hopefully it's passed

if it ever returns, i might just have to find a vet and get her checked out!

thank you for the help!

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
When mine was doing that the vet advised that it was her trying to make additional room in her abdomen to be able to breathe better.

Their intestinal system is quite simple. Her cause was an inflamed internal organ due to 3 clutches she had within 6 weeks. The vet thought her uterus was inflamed which would increase the size and take up more room in her abdominal cavity. Her makeing those weird gasping noises were her trying to take in more air as there was potentially pressure on her lungs (they don't have a diaphragm like we do).

We had to put her on antibiotics and once that was done the noises stopped.

Anguirus

Original Poster
im glad things sorted out for you! not sure if thats the same thing causing my beardy's sounds since shes never had eggs

but, unfortunately, her sounds are back, but they sound a bit more... gurgle-y
i just woke up and saw her poop, then she went to go eat some greens she had and soon after she started making those noises. a few of them were the 'coughing up phlegm' noises she was making a few days back but they were mostly the quiet gurgles

i still cant see any mucus in or around her nostrils/mouth, and cant hear her making any noises other than that

im going to see if i can take her to the vet soon, i doubt i can make it this week since i have a doctor's appointment of my own, but the only problem is i havent got the foggiest idea of where a reputable herp vet might be around here.
if anyone knows of a reasonably priced vet in or around brooklyn new york, please mention so! i dont mind going out to the other boroughs for a vet, but bare in mind the only way i'd be able to get there is to have my parents drive there and im not too sure they'll be too willing to drive 3+ hours to take a lizard to the vet.

Anguirus

Original Poster
thank you very much! the first link is actually only 20 minutes or so by car, so thats great
ill see if i can get an appointment sometime next week if theyre open during the holidays

Phurba390

Respiratory infection. Ditch the water bowl, they don't need any humidity. In fact, that could be what caused it. She will need antibiotics and a new hygrometer with a probe sensor.

Anguirus

Original Poster
i doubt the water bowl is the problem. multiple caresheets and sites recommend 30-40% humidity for beardies, without the bowl humidity drops significantly and as far as i know, dry air isn't all that good either, and it's also strange that it would only be causing problems now after she's had a water bowl in her tank ever since her previous owners got her before passing her over to me (so about two and a half years)
if humidity is the problem, it would be the fault of just my general location, it's pretty humid around the coast (about 70% atm) so the water bowl + the fact that i have the heat lamp on 24/7 keeps the humidity at a constant in the tank that isn't overly humid.
i would invest in a dehumidifier but that would require me placing my beardie in my basement, since dry air triggers my asthma

and as mentioned, i'll see if i can get her to a vet and get some meds for her
a new hydrometer is on the to get list though, don't worry!

Anguirus

Original Poster
thought i'd post an update
took her to the vet today and they diagnosed her with an RI, got medication for her and i just need a fecal and a mucus sample if she ends up coughing anything up, other than that the vet said she was well cared for and pretty looking ! :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom