Where to buy silkworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

Since Gonzo has not been eating her crickets for a while or phoenix worms I had heard that silkworms are a great staple. I just want to try other options that are nutritious. Do they have to bought online and if so could someone suggest a reputable site? We have a vet visit on Saturday to rule out illness due to non eating and acting crazy but want to find a new live food source in case it is just from refusing to eat them anymore.

Thanks in advance

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
I checked out the sight. So they are not like phoenix worms and I just keep them in the container and feed as needed? I have to prepare food, etc. for them even if I am not raising them?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I don't have experience with them, I'm sure others here do. If you are going to feed them off in a few days or week maybe then you probably don't need to buy any food. If you want them to keep longer and grow bigger you'd want to buy their chow or mulberry leaves. Hopefully someone else with experience can answer you better. Have you tried dubia roaches?

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
No I haven't tried them. I don't even see them listed on the Nutrition List for Bearded Dragons. Are they called something else?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Not sure what list you're looking at but they are an excellent staple for bearded dragons and unlike crickets you can put them in a bowl in the cage. They don't stink, make noise or climb out. You can feed them anything, though I'd stick to healthy stuff of course. I usually give them fruits, veggies, wheat bread and dry dog food. I have my own colony, but the cheapest I've found them at is Kritters for Christ. Unless you live in Florida then they are illegal cause they can thrive in their weather, then you'd want discoid roaches which are really similar. Just make sure you order a size suitable for your beardie, they can get up to 2 inch as an adult.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Dubia roaches are great! I just started my colony, and I have to say, they are awesome! They don't stink AT ALL, unlike crickets, they don't make any noise, and in the month or so I have had them I haven't had a single death!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you are north of the equator, you will find silkworm lavae and fresh mulberry leaves impossible to find soon, as they will be out of season.

You should still be able to be buy silkworm eggs and dry silkworm chow (in powder form) over the off season, and silkworm eggs are easy to hatch and raise on cooked silkworm chow only if you have no access to fresh mulberry leaves.
Buying the worms as eggs is also LOTS CHEAPER than buying the worms too.

About a month after the baby worms have hatched you will have small silkworms (ideal for little hatchling beardies) and a couple of weeks later they will be approaching 2in long and so 3 or 4 worms will perfect as entire bug meal for a juvenile/teenage beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom