Do you think she is okay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
So today I got my first bearded dragon, Clementine. She is a beautiful Orangish Hypo Leatherback that I got from a local breeder. She is a year and two months old, 15 inches long from tip to tip, and a little over 250 grams. I already love her to death.

Well, today as soon as I got her I noticed she was pretty wrinkly, so the first thing I did was give her a soak outside in the sunshine. She didn't drink any, so I thought, "okay, maybe beardies are just a lil wrinkly and has loose skin." Well, she didn't really move much at all today inside her enclosure besides scratch at the glass and kind of poke around a little at first. She seemed to just fall asleep, or have her eyes closed at least, wherever she was, standing or laying down. She pooped, which is good, and whenever I would pick her up she would scurry up my arm pretty fast, so at least she can move and animated. She responded well to sound and movement, but didnt move much herself. Last time I moved her was to her ferret hammock and she has been there since about 6:30pm, and its almost 11:30 now. She hasn't even shifted or moved. Do you think it's because she's in a completely new environment? It also seems like shes going to shed so could that also be a thing causing her demeanor? She didn't eat at all. Not the greens/peppers or the black fly larvae I offered. I even started just putting the worms on her head to see any kind of reaction, but nothing. I hope my baby is okay :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
She's quite small for her age .

Has she eaten any bugs (what are you offering her) ?

The lethargy may be relocation stress (she's only been with your for a day or so). Coming for a shed can often make them depressed but I'd expect her to be moving about more (exploring her new home) . She sounds sick to me.

Keep her warm, offer her some greens and salad veg , and some live insects a couple of times a day , you may need to hand feed the live insects to her if she refuses to catch them , just to be sure she's eating and it'll also help form a bond with her.

Can you give us a run down on :
UV source (type of light and uvb rating and how from her it is) ?
the basking globe type and colour and wattage ?
the basking spot temperature ?
the tank's cool zone and warm zone daytime temps ?
the tank's overnight temperatures (minimum) ?
the bedding she is on ?
when do you turn on her lights ? ... and when are they turned off ?
the feeding schedule (when, what exactly and size of bugs) and what greens and veg ?

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":we0rjbfi said:
She's quite small for her age .

Has she eaten any bugs (what are you offering her) ?

The lethargy may be relocation stress (she's only been with your for a day or so). Coming for a shed can often make them depressed but I'd expect her to be moving about more (exploring her new home) . She sounds sick to me.

Keep her warm, offer her some greens and salad veg , and some live insects a couple of times a day , you may need to hand feed the live insects to her if she refuses to catch them , just to be sure she's eating and it'll also help form a bond with her.

Can you give us a run down on :
UV source (type of light and uvb rating and how from her it is) ?
the basking globe type and colour and wattage ?
the basking spot temperature ?
the tank's cool zone and warm zone daytime temps ?
the tank's overnight temperatures (minimum) ?
the bedding she is on ?
when do you turn on her lights ? ... and when are they turned off ?
the feeding schedule (when, what exactly and size of bugs) and what greens and veg ?

I offered her Black Fly Larvae a couple times, but she didnt even attempt to eat them. Not from my hand, and not from a bowl.
The UVB I have is the Zilla50 for now and its about 9 inches away, but above screen. I know thats a little low but i am going to be taking her out into the sun today to see if she perks up.
The basking is just a 90w incandescent flood light which is about 8 inches above the top of the cage.
Basking temps are at 104*, the middle is around 88, and the cool side is about 78*
Overnight the coldest it ever gets in our house is about 74*
I have stone tiles for substrate, but right now she's sleeping in her hammock.
Lights come in in a couple minutes at 8am and turn off at 9:30pm
I was planning on keeping her salad bowl full, as she ate it all i would refill it throughout the day starting at about 9:20am. Then feed her insects at about 7:30pm for dinner, but she wasn't having any of that last night. Her salad is Turnip Greens, Collard Greens, and Mustard Greens with chopped up bell peppers and a little bit of carrots. The bugs Im using are black soldier fly larvae, and they're the "medium" ones. I would say maybe half an inch long? Maybe a little less. I'll report back in today if her demeanor changes at all.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
29290721603_bfcb6824db_h.jpg

This is how she is currently. The lights came on and I went over to see and she was awake in her hammock, so I just left her there for a bit. She didn't move much so I went ahead and took her out, and put her in the middle of the viv and then she moved a little to under the basking ramp. She stayed there for a while doing the thing where she would close both eyes (like she is now) and then when I would move or make a noise she would open them and look. I eventually caved and moved her to the top of the basking area so she could warm up a little. I tried to hand feed her some of the larvae but she didnt take then, even as I was putting them on her lips and they would wiggle around. I have her salad in there but she has paid no attention to it. My Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO should come in this week, so maybe that will perk her up a little bit. Later on I am going to give her a little bath and have her soak up some sun rays and see if that does anything.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
anything guys? i managed to kind of feed her about 20 phoenixworms by puttin them in her lips and then she would eat them, not actually forcing her mouth open, just kinda pulling down her lip very gently. She hasnt eaten any greens either. She has moved around more and has explored the cage a bit and but sometimes she goes hours with out moving a muscle besides her head. I just gave her a little bath and she seemed animated. I dont think its MBD or anything bc she is very able to move and move quickly and has no signs of it that i can tell. Anyways, any info would help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She is very pretty, and appears to be a good weight, even slightly pudgy. :) I agree that there may be a health concern, most beardies that are simply suffering from relocation stress either become hyper-active or they hide somewhere, they don't usually sit out in the open in a lethargic state with eyes closed. But every dragon is different, and it may be that she truly is just stressed. Give her a few weeks, then have a fecal test done to check for parasites.

The Zilla bulb is O.K at a close distance but does not produce a lot of uvb so make sue it's within 8-10" from her basking spot. Check to be sure that the plastic shield is removed from the bulb fixture....that would block the uvb. Getting her in the sun a few times a week will be great, providing her with lots of uvb for now. It's good that she ate some of the BSFL, order the large next time, she can eat much larger prey items at her size, :)

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1vw90r3u said:
She is very pretty, and appears to be a good weight, even slightly pudgy. :) I agree that there may be a health concern, most beardies that are simply suffering from relocation stress either become hyper-active or they hide somewhere, they don't usually sit out in the open in a lethargic state with eyes closed. But every dragon is different, and it may be that she truly is just stressed. Give her a few weeks, then have a fecal test done to check for parasites.

The Zilla bulb is O.K at a close distance but does not produce a lot of uvb so make sue it's within 8-10" from her basking spot. Check to be sure that the plastic shield is removed from the bulb fixture....that would block the uvb. Getting her in the sun a few times a week will be great, providing her with lots of uvb for now. It's good that she ate some of the BSFL, order the large next time, she can eat much larger prey items at her size, :)

I'm going to see if she will eat some superworms, and feed her those as a supplement until she starts to recognize the bsfl as a food source. My mom said she was walking around and exploring and fell asleep over by the log. She could also be starting to brumate maybe since its starting to be fall over here. I gave her a bath out in the sun earlier and she was very animated with trying to get out haha. My girlfriend and I are going out to a picnic tomorrow and we're gonna be taking her with us and hoping she eats some greens soon. She is definitely going to shed soon, so that could also contribute to it too right? Im so worried, but also im convinced its stressed. But in two or three weeks if it keeps up i'll take her to a local vet and see if everything is okay

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
radams713":bdznyrjt said:
The UVB has to be under the screen. The screen filters out about 50% of the UVB.

I was looking at some charts and graphs and saw that the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO at about 8" away through screen still puts out a good amount of UVB. I will be receiving that one in the mail in about two days, unless the bulb comes in broken

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
By the way, right now i'm staring at her and she is on top of her log on the cool side and keeps like seemingly dozing off and her head will slowly fall then she'll like jolt awake as if she had one of those dreams where you fall and then you like jump and wake up. It's kind of cute but i'm scared it might be something bad. This little girl has reduced me to a ball of stress. I'm supposed to be writing a 3 page essay right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom