First setup - UVB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was doing some research today on mounting the UVB inside the cage. It doesn't sound quite as scary as I feared - seems that it can be done with Velcro or command hooks, and an under cabinet fixture. I think I could manage that...

If I do mount the UVB inside the cage, is it okay to mount it on the back wall? Or is that not as good as the light being overhead? Also, I'd probably have to stick with just the one UVB. It seems the largest T5 is 46", which is not quite 2/3rds of a 72" cage. Is this going to be okay or should I really try for exactly 2/3rds minimum?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's best to mount it overhead so they can better regulate and avoid glare. You don't need it to be 2/3. I shoot for having it maybe 1/2 but at least slightly larger than the length of your dragon in order to create a wide enough basking area for even basking. A 22'' or 36'' T5 will do the trick in most cases. A lot of the T5 fixtures are designed for grow lights and have hooks in them that make for easy mounting from clips or a wire. They should sit about 12'' above the highest basking area for best results.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a great bulb but will cover a lot of area. If you go with it, be sure to provide plenty of shade areas and spots away from the light because it will provide intense UVB at 12'' or so. You want to offer plenty of variety so your dragon can move around and choose to bask or not to rather than forcing high UVB everywhere. She has another chart that helps explain the idea https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks again for the advise, CooperDragon. I was thinking that by picking this light, I would be able to mount it above the screen and still have very good UVB inside the cage. But would it still be a concern that it is too much UVB?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that can definitely go through a screen. 10-12'' above the basking area is best in that case. It's more a matter of area covered. I like to have an area of high heat and high UVB along with areas of lower heat and little to no UVB. That gradient gives them some choice so they can move around and self regulate. They don't always want to be in high "sunlight" and will seek shady areas at some points during the day.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've been looking into getting one of the 3D ledge backgrounds from universalrocks.com. It looks like for the size I'd need, the background sticks out about 7" (I'm assuming this would probably mean the ledge is about 7"). I'm hoping this would help to provide the shade and gradient needed by offering various heights. What do you think? It's expensive, so I want to make sure my new beardie will benefit from it if I get him/her one.

I'll also need a basking perch. I think I want something natural looking, but other than that, haven't got anything in mind just yet. Any suggestions for what would be a good choice? Any tips for choosing the right perch?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had good luck using simple flat pieces of driftwood. They like to climb it and it produces some shade underneath depending on how you set it up. My guys seem to like the habba hut half logs too. The driftwood pieces and other branches can be found for free in a lot of places so it's something worth considering.

76248-8383156387.jpg

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
If it's expensive why don't you make it yourself?

Use foam to create the ledge/shape, grout and seal it. I would use magnets instead of suction cups, you can get some really strong ones that you can mount in the ledge and then on the other side of the tank.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":1rux7x9v said:
If it's expensive why don't you make it yourself?

Use foam to create the ledge/shape, grout and seal it. I would use magnets instead of suction cups, you can get some really strong ones that you can mount in the ledge and then on the other side of the tank.

I'd love to, but I doubt I could make anything that looks even half decent. Maybe I can practice a little with some simpler ideas. But the cage is going to be in our living/dining room, so I really want to make a bit of a centerpiece out of it, and get a really nice design.

CooperDragon, I found quite a lot of places online that sell driftwood. I thought about getting something from there. Is there anything I need to do to make it suitable for a bearded dragon? When we walked the dog the other day, I did see a nice log that'd be perfect. I was uncertain about taking it because I worried it wouldn't be safe. Is there a risk of poisoning if I use the wrong type of wood?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
You can bake the logs in the oven at a low temp and it should kill any bugs/bacteria.

Stay away from cedar, that's not good for reptiles.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it's usually fine to pick wood from outside. One of my driftwood pieces is from the mississippi and one is from the ocean. I just rinse them well and then bake them in the oven on low for 45min to an hour at first and whenever they get dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom