How can i get my beardie to trust me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new cage for one of my beardies. The big one seems to always love to chill with me, but the small one always tries to jump off my hand or tries to run away. I guess that it's because i was dumb enough to let the big one get on top of the other one but i honestly thought that was them being friendly. Also one day i wanted to spend time with them outside but the small one jumped off my hand (but it had no injuries as far as i could tell). And my guess that is also the cause of why it doesn't trust me. Btw i still don't know their genders but I'm almost positive the big one is female (yes i know how to tell).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Young dragons tend to be curious and active so it's not uncommon for them to jump away and start exploring an area. Unless he starts acting defensive with mouth opening, beard flaring, or hiding from you it sounds like pretty normal behavior. Just be sure that the area he is in is safe for him to explore or closed off to an area that is safe. Also be aware that they tend to jump from higher than is necessarily safe so it's best to keep them in a lower spot (not on shoulders etc) and keep a close eye on them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Spend lots of time hanging out where the little guy can see and hear you, talk often to him calmly and reassuringly, and never NEVER EVER chace him (all he'll see is a big scary 5 headed monster coming to get him, always talk to him when / while you are picking him up, and NEVER grab him from behind (that will make him scared of you).

I bond with all my lizards when little by having a routine with the first feeding of live insects each day where I place the little lizard on my chest / tummy , cupped hand over him (gentle restraint) and I handfeed a few insects to them each .... great way to form a tight trusting bond with a lizard.

Be patient and be gentle.

Minimum3

Hatchling Member
This is going to sound very very weird but it worked with my Dragon. Saphira wasn't a big fan of me when I rescued Him which I thought was a Her. She had been handled a lot by her previous owner, but not near the end. Phira would try to get away from me. When he started to warm up to me I noticed that he would bump the tip of his face to my chin, or lick my chin. So, I started to lightly bump under his chin with my nose. It is now our nightly ritual when I go to put him back in his house. He also sometimes demands the nose bump from me. You might want to give that a try, or figure out some other kind of affection that he responds to.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NEVER chase a skittish scared lizard, this will only reinforce his fear of you.
NEVER grab a skittish lizard from above or behind - very much like a predator and will reinforce is fear of you.
Spend lots of time hanging out where it can see and hear you , and talk quietly and calmly to it often.

Good time to get a lizard out for a snuggle is when it's relaxed and tired (while it's basking) and close to bed time. They are more receptive then.

Choose a room to get him out for snuggles in where he can not run away and hide under/behind heavy stuff and never walk around with him on you, if he takes fright or spots something he want to go and see, he can leap off very suddenly and can really do himself serious harm if he lands on a hard surface from a height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom