Some new help with everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
(FOR TL:DR SCROLL to last paragraph) So we got a red beardie with 3 legs at a local pet store named charmander. We believe he's an adult at 18 inches. I want to know quite a few things and do things super proper this time and be OCD like everyone else here.

We're trying to figure out his current enclosure gallons. It's 16x40x16.5 inches. Got him a hammock from petsmart. Live crickets which he will not eat as it's been 2 days since we've had him. He's eating greens (kale) with dusted calcium and multivitamins 2-3 times a week.

The basking light is on the left side. The water bowl is on the darker side. We have his uvb bulb hanging from two hangers and I need advice on how to mount it down lower into the cage without it falling: as the cage itself is high up and the 10.0 uvb may not reach properly and give him sufficient uvb lighting.

The temp gun is on the way. The backdrop we're trying to find a way to get a big one for his enclosure and the size of it. So we need help on what to get for that as well as how to get him to eat crickets :-/

IMG_4719.jpg

IMG_4722.jpg

IMG_4725.jpg

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
You could use some 3M command hooks to hang it inside teh cage on the side. How heavy is the fixture? you might need to get the proper weight. Mine is on a ballast so I hang it from the two cables into the tank. I would move it closer to the basking side, he'll need the uvb when he's basking and it'll be easier to get it within the proper distance. The hangers will definitely need to go or they'll overheat.

You will want to put tile or non adhesive shelf liner on the bottom so he can run around and you can keep it clean.

He's going to need some kind of hide, for now you could even use a kleenex box, just something for him to get out of the light if he feels the need.

You should look into some branches or bricks that you can place around the cage so he can rub against them at shed time as well as providing some climbing options. With 3 legs he may not be as mobile but he'll still want some kind of levels to be able to move around. If you can collect them from outside you'll need to bake them at low level to kill off any insects/bacteria.

A little steam cleaner would be a good option to help sterilise his enclosure when you're cleaning it.

A thermostat that turns your lights on/off is a good idea, you can get some that will maintain a specific heat within the enclosure.

tripleh3lix

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":2hc3h3jt said:
You could use some 3M command hooks to hang it inside teh cage on the side. How heavy is the fixture? you might need to get the proper weight. Mine is on a ballast so I hang it from the two cables into the tank. I would move it closer to the basking side, he'll need the uvb when he's basking and it'll be easier to get it within the proper distance. The hangers will definitely need to go or they'll overheat.

You will want to put tile or non adhesive shelf liner on the bottom so he can run around and you can keep it clean.

He's going to need some kind of hide, for now you could even use a kleenex box, just something for him to get out of the light if he feels the need.

You should look into some branches or bricks that you can place around the cage so he can rub against them at shed time as well as providing some climbing options. With 3 legs he may not be as mobile but he'll still want some kind of levels to be able to move around. If you can collect them from outside you'll need to bake them at low level to kill off any insects/bacteria.

A little steam cleaner would be a good option to help sterilise his enclosure when you're cleaning it.

A thermostat that turns your lights on/off is a good idea, you can get some that will maintain a specific heat within the enclosure.

Thank you so much for all the advice! We used 3m command hooks but they didn't seem strong enough. So me and my dad built around an L hook and drilled 3 holes in the Walmart fixture. Also got a terrarium background from Petsmart. I also laid down Slate tile cause I read it was good for his nails to keep them filed.

He's just now eating crickets for the first time ever since I've got him on Tuesday. He managed to eat 8 but didn't chase them around much and let them come to him. I am seeing some dead ones in his enclosure and it may have been a while... Im reading they become toxic and they will all get infected and can give the bearded dragons parasites. Should I throw them out and get new ones?

So far I've fed the crickets Kale and Carrots. I bought (Fluker's Hi Calcium Cricket Feed) from Petsmart, and made sure to check a lot of the reviews. Seems to be decent stuff for next batch of crickets. If any advice can be offered that would be great. His temps are also fine (at least with the temp gun). I just can't find that walmart acurite probe thermometer from anywhere. Petsmart also had none. Neither did the other walmart, home depot, or lowes.

Is there a decent priced thermometer on Amazon under 15-20 bucks?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Throw them out. They will decompose and introduce unneeded bacteria.

I'm glad you were able to find a good solution for your light. Do you have new pictures?

tripleh3lix

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":1lqs4fj6 said:
Throw them out. They will decompose and introduce unneeded bacteria.

I'm glad you were able to find a good solution for your light. Do you have new pictures?

Okay. Sounds good. He's so hungry and gave him veggies ,he won't really eat them.. and no shops are open right now to get more. I feel bad. I didn't think I would've needed to throw them out till just before I made this post. Thankfully he didn't eat any more. He has a hide I just need the to clean it. I just know he had a tendency to not want to get out of it when I got him, so I kinda yanked it out cause he was spending too much time in there. I guess that's a problem for a lot of beardies on here.

20160925_191741.jpg

20160925_201009.jpg

20160925_201214.jpg

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
He needs more stuff to climb. If you can find some branches you can disinfect that would help with activities.

tripleh3lix

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":18j86luc said:
He needs more stuff to climb. If you can find some branches you can disinfect that would help with activities.

Yeah I gotta find something. That's already a huge concern and I'm working on it. I have one.. how do I properly disinfect it without hurting little Charmander?

tripleh3lix

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":54wrnbzk said:
You can bake them at a low temp(250ish) for 45 min to get rid of bugs and stuff

Thank you so much! I saw your beardies enclosure and have a good idea on what to get for mine to climb around on.

They haven't got any acurites with a probe anywhere around town. Where do I get that specific thermometer online with the probe? I have no idea which one people are referring to as no link has been posted and can't find any with a probe at Home Depot, Walmart, target, petsmart, lowes, etc. if there's any on Amazon that anyone would recommend, that would be great!

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I got mine from amazon for 10 bucks.

It looks like a little display with a cord and a little hard plastic thing. I'll send a pic when I'm not on my phone

tripleh3lix

Original Poster
kyleena29":1txzcqkr said:
Here's a thermometer http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-thermometers-hygrometers/11442-511260/zoo-med-zoo-med-digital-thermometer-for-terrariums.html

and I use this on the cool side

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914

I would add a bright led bulb to the other end for more light. He needs a place to hide to regulate his uvb intake too and feel secure.

Aww thank you so much! There isn't one that has a probe then a digital thermometer as well? I'm reading that you only need one. Two seems a bit excessive with a temp gun. I was looking for one with a probe. But if not I may go ahead and buy both of those!

It looks like a little display with a cord and a little hard plastic thing. I'll send a pic when I'm not on my phone

Sweet! I'll have to give that one a go when you can get a link out. Thanks for all the help btw! You've been super helpful.

tripleh3lix

Original Poster
tripleh3lix":161j5drx said:
kyleena29":161j5drx said:
Here's a thermometer http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-thermometers-hygrometers/11442-511260/zoo-med-zoo-med-digital-thermometer-for-terrariums.html

and I use this on the cool side

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914

I would add a bright led bulb to the other end for more light. He needs a place to hide to regulate his uvb intake too and feel secure.

Aww thank you so much! There isn't one that has a probe then a digital thermometer as well? I'm reading that you only need one. Two seems a bit excessive with a temp gun. I was looking for one with a probe. But if not I may go ahead and buy both of those!

Sweet! I'll have to give that one a go when you can get a link out. Thanks for all the help btw! You've been super helpful.

I'm thinking of buying two of these.. Worth it?

https://www.amazon.com/CNZ-Thermometer-Aquarium-Vivarium-Terrarium/dp/B00KPXVI94/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
It's the same as the one I linked, it has a probe. The one I linked from walmart is mainly for humidity, the temp is a bonus on it. I like having extra to temp the bathes.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
It's pretty much the same thing that kyleena posted.

https://www.amazon.com/Pawliss-Digi...474919191&sr=8-50&keywords=reptile+thermostat

I have my lights on a time as well, it helps regulate the day/night cycle so that she's not stuck waiting for me to wake up. If you don't have those you'll want them.

A lot of herpers use a thermostat which regulates the temperature. It turns the temp up/down depending on the readings. You may not need this but it's something to think about.

https://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-ETL-C...1474919349&sr=8-1&keywords=thermostat+reptile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom