I'm an *****

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Holly has eaten a full size moon flower. Only the petals though, but I found out they are in fact morning glories and they are toxic.

http://reptile-parrots.com/forums/showthread.php/1628-Toxic-Plants

It looks like this site says they aren't too toxic and what you have to look for is a stomach ache and hallucinations but I'm still really worried.

It's my fault, Holly has always been such a picky eater but she's being much more open minded to food so I've been having her try all kinds of things... I really should have looked this up first. I made a terrible mistake and I definitely will not do that again. I love my baby girl.

As of right now it's just waiting in her stomach to be digested with some safe flowers, greens and a dubia. Is there a chance it'll pass on its own? Can the effects be lessened by giving her more food and water? She's acting normal right now. She's just wanting to come out of her tank again for some more play time. I'm really worried, any advice would be much appreciated.

I might give your local experienced beardie vet a telephone call, just to ask if he or she has any experience with beardies ingesting that particular flower. For me it would be a better safe than sorry situation.

Isn't that always how it works? In that case, I would keep on keeping an eye on her and wait for more experienced posters to weigh in. I wish I could be of more help.

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
checked for vets a little further out and they're closed too. It is the bible belt here.

I just offered her some water and she wouldn't take it. Not from dripping on her snout and not from a bowl which, she'll drink from. I'm thinking of giving her a warm bath. I'm worried that'll speed things along and I may need to do something else for her before then.

I know that beardeddragon.co sells an activated charcoal suspension, though I have no idea if a single morning glory flower contains enough seeds to be toxic to your baby. I did some googling and the ASPCA has a pet poison control center, though they may charge you for their help and I don't know how much experience they have with dragons.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully she'll have no ill effects, if you're concerned you can get activated charcoal at most drug stores. When ingested , it absorbs any toxins in the stomach and allows them to pass through safely.

AHBD":1lzrq4t4 said:
Hopefully she'll have no ill effects, if you're concerned you can get activated charcoal at most drug stores. When ingested , it absorbs any toxins in the stomach and allows them to pass through safely.

Thank you. I was well out of my depth there.

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
Update: the seeds are what's poisonous. She only petals thank goodness!! For anyone who may make this mistake and they happened to have eaten the seeds, the number is 1-855-764-7661 and they'll charge $49.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well that's good, I'm sure you're relieved. :) If you're looking for variety of plants from outdoors that are edible you can feed her dandelion, red + white clover [ my dragons like the clover leaf ] and mulberry leaves are very nutritious, impatiens, hibiscus.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I would probably order that charcoal from bearded dragon co just to have on hand for emergencies. Just so that it will probably never get used. We all know that we end up needing things we don't have and have to wait on shipping and never ending up needing things we are prepared for.

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
That's actually how I got into this mess in the first place. It's the last hot day of the year so I took her out to enjoy it. She loves eating clover leaves but now she's open to the flowers too. She was also finally interested in rose petals too and one thing led to another, I tried moonflower. It's my mom's garden and she doesn't use any pesticides or fertilizers. And most of what she grows is pretty safe even for us humans to eat.

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
I've never heard of bearded dragon co before and oh my gosh they sell clothes for beardies! That's adorable. And the charcoal is way cheaper than I was expecting. Definitely should get some to have on hand just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom