1 year old Beardie with Neurological disorder HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fauzt0

Hey, I read all the replies and they seem great. Don't beat yourself up too much! The fact that you even reaced out to a forum full of strangers tells me that you care enough! Good luck and I'm happy that you're feeling more confident!

magus1863

Original Poster
Hey all, so the bloodwork came back from the vet and I learned a few things. First off, she said his calcium read normal, do these things not always show accurately in bloodwork? She also mentioned his liver seems to be a bit larger in average, but with normal enzyme activity. Lastly she mentioned that he had a higher white blood cell count than normal as well as a bit high on the protein side.

She's saying while it doesn't show on the X-ray, a spinal injury is not to be ruled out. She recommended a round of anti inflammatories and antibiotics. Mentioned I may want to take him to someone at UCLA for an MRI to rule other possibilities out.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm steering the course on 5 days a week dusting with vitamin supplements the other two, lots of sunshine, and the liquid calcium should be coming soon. Would love to hear your educated takes on the issue.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I doubt that's the problem, or if it is neurologial it's due to lack of calcium absorption. That's my guess since he was without uvb for a long time and only getting calcium once a week so that's the logical conclusion. I think the bones can still be deficient even when calcium levels show normal in the bloodwork. But if you want to try what the vet prescribed, go ahead and do so. Did she say what the antibiotic is for ? Now if he recovers you won't know if it's from being started on the calcium with the lighting being updated or from the new treatment but I think it'll be the calcium + lights. :) No matter, I wish the best for a good recovery or at least improvement.

And by the way, beardies CAN feel heat on their bellies, they just don't always realize it they're getting burned like we may not feel it getting a bad sunburn.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it definitely could be a spinal type of injury due to improper calcium & UVB exposure.
How is he doing today? I hope he starts doing better real soon.
It is so hard to tell what is going on inside & with their bones, too.
Keep us posted on how he is doing. :D

Tracie

magus1863

Original Poster
Hey everyone, another update and another round of questions. So for a while he was eating these amazing big meals, crickets, dubias, super worms, anything I could give him. Then earlier this week he didn't eat for four days (though still had bowel movements on three of them) He ate 7 worms two days ago, four yesterday, and nothing so far today (he is shedding, that a factor?)

I also feel that despite the regular sun, calcium and vitamins, and improved bulb, he seems to be getting weaker to me. Maybe I'm hoping for improvement too soon, but his condition appears to be worsening. I know a lack of calcium can cause neurological disorders, can those ever be progressive? My research online hasn't really shown me any examples of anything like that.

I'm really worried....

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Is he getting powdered calcium or liquid? Did you get him some serrapeptase? Seems strange to be going backwards. You might consider some milk thistle seed powder or dandelion powder if there is concern about the liver. Is he eating any vegetables? It can take him months to get better. It's possible he's having ups and downs. If he doesn't start eating you will need to syringe feed and maybe get a fecal done. You want to make sure he's getting calcium 5x week on 1 meal daily, the other 2 days vitamins on 1 meal each day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry he is still having some trouble!
I had forgotten to ask if they did an ionized calcium test or a regular calcium reading?
Is he more active or less active right now? I hope he is eating well too.
It really takes awhile for them to get their levels up if it is calcium related. If it's spinal related then he may not improve 100% but only time will tell.
Be patient, it does take time. Do you have a video you could post of him walking or moving?

Tracie

magus1863

Original Poster
Hey all, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, it's been hectic. Thanks for bearing with me!

He is getting powdered calcium, I have also started him on anti-inflammatories per the vets orders just in case. I have not given him any serrapeptase, I've looked and it doesn't seem to be reptile specific. How would you recommend I dose a 1 year old beardie?

He still seems to be having his ups and downs. Most days he eats a small amount of collard greens and insects. I've introduced him to goliath worms, he ate four large ones yesterday and two today. He's still not eating nearly as big of meals as when I first got him his new UVB. He is pooping most every day, but in rather small amounts rather than the big healthy ones of about two weeks ago.

I'm attaching a link to a quick movie of some of his movements. This is him on my foam mattress while I was cleaning his tank. He is having a harder time moving on this surface than normal, but it's indicative of his general movements. I might add that his muscles in this state are very tense. Sometimes just at rest his legs will tense up and stick out, and I notice occasional spasms in his legs just when sitting still. He also often surrenders the use of his front legs, and just lets his hands flop over and he will rest on the back of them. So overall his usage of all four of his limbs is very limited.

Also, today I got him a 40gal tank with the "Zilla Desert" crushed walnut shells as substrate. He seems to have a bit harder of a time moving on the surface, and also should I worry about impaction? Wouldn't mind some tips on the setup if something sticks out to you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb-gnVx-0SA

New tank
full

Thanks again everyone, I truly appreciate it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy :( ....I'm not sure what the cause could be. I think they can develop pinched nerves [ someone wrote on here explaining it once ] but that's only one of many guesses as to why this is happening. He seems happy + looks healthy otherwise. Even when they have motor skill problems they can be relatively happy, I'm not sure how it impacts longevity.

Crushed walnut is one of the worst if he gets impacted with it. You might try non adhesive shelf liner, it offers some traction and is easy to clean. You can put 3-4 layers down to make the floor soft but still stable. Tile would probably be hard on his joints after a while.

And Tracie [ Drache] can advise about serrapeptase dosing. As for trying liquid cacium , he might absorb it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom