Beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koggle

Hatchling Member
So for the last few weeks my Beardie hasn't been eating much. I've tried giving her super worms, crickets, variety of of fruit and vegetables but she refused pretty much all the veggies/fruits, and if she does eat the super worms or crickets, it is not much. She is just over a year old, and all her temperatures seem right to me. She looks like she is about to shed, but she has been refusing to eat before then.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Could you provide us with a little information regarding her enclosure such as what your UVB source is and what her current temps are at?

Have you noticed any declines in energy or her sleeping more than usual? The reason I ask is because this is a common time for brumation and giving her age it would not be uncommon.

Koggle

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her UVB is a Reptisun 10.0, and her temperatures are:
Basking spot around 90-110
And the cool end is around 80

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Your lighting and temps sound perfect, over all does she still seem healthy? Like Have you noticed a loss of weight in her? Is she still pooping regularly? Is she lethargic?

They usually will not starve themselves so if she is not losing weight, using the bathroom regularly, and isn't displaying a noticeable change in behavior I would not be too concerned.

Koggle

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She will usually only go to the washroom if i'm giving her a bath, and she spends a lot of time outside of her basking spot just sitting on the ground.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Okay that is a sign that the temps may be a little too high. Try getting the hottest spot on her basking log right around 95-100 (no cooler than 95 and no hotter than 100) and see if you can get her basking again. For an adult beardie the temps can be lowered a little even though they aren't done growing until 18months she may be ready for a slight temp decrease. You may be able to just move your current basking light a little or raise it slightly to tweak it just enough.
Has her appetite picked up any? Try decreasing those temps a little and see if it helps

Koggle

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I noticed that she usually basks A LOT more at night than during the daytime. Could that maybe have something to do with her sleep schedule?

Koggle

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
For the most part during the day, she is awake, but is rarely basking, and is just lying on the bottom of the tank, but later through the day usually towards night, she'll be basking normally

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Try tweaking those temps just slightly just to see if it helps. There is so much advice and great go bys online, however I've learned by paying attention to my dragon she actually lets me know what she needs better than anything else. If your dragon is not on her basking platform for the majority of the day but is still awake and laying on the ground of her enclosure under the light, chances are she wants heat just not so much at the moment.
I would like to also add this is a common time for brumation in dragons. Some may not go into full brumation right away or at all but will still slow down some. As long as she is healthy and not losing weight and your keeping her well hyderated, I wouldn't worry too much about a decline in appetite. Continue offering her food, salads everyday and live food once a day and she will most likely eat when she's hungry. Let us know if her appetite picks back up or becomes any worst so that we can explore other possible issues. But I really think getting that basking spot right around 95-100 will really help

Koggle

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, thanks for the replies and tips. I'll try adjusting the temperatures today.
Thank you again

MsCarter

Juvie Member
No problem that's what we are all here for. Let us know how she is doing and if you have any more questions or concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom