Please confirm correct lighting and placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

With the way Gonzo has been acting I want to confirm my lighting and placement. The basking light is above his rock on the right of the tank. The UVB is to the left of it. She has been spending a lot of time in her tree on the left (cooler) side of the cage. Should there be no uvb or basking light on the cool side of the cage and both lights kept on the right basking side or do I need another light? with her laying in the tree so high is the uvb too close if its on that side? If I move lights to the basking side their will be nothing where she has been laying a lot lately.

40 Gallon Breeder, Zilla slimline desert fixture (plastic cover taken off) with the Reptisun 18 inceh T8 10.0 uvb bulb in it. Zoo Med 150 Watt repti basking spot lamp in the Fluker's clamp lamp with the dimmer. He basks on his rock which is 13 inches down from the lamp. Steady right around 100 degrees

87112-5307266903.jpg

Thanks for confirmation.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
that looks about 6-8 inches from the uvb to the tree, which with a T8 with screen should be appropriate i believe. You can try placing an intermediate basking spot between the heat and UVB perhaps? some overlap of the two lights is good however separation will let them self regulate. I myself am going to ditch the T8 and upgrade to T5 since i have lower lying furniture and my dude doesnt really climb too much.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes both lights need to be over the basking spot. They need the heat and sunlight together for proper digestion and vitamin D absorbtion.
This will also give him a place to get out of the UVB light aka sun.if you can,try to give him a shady spot on the cool end if at all possible.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
Gormagon,

But if she isn't really basking and spending almost all her time on the other side of the cage shouldn't she at least have uvb over there?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Jtjlcl":m0e7wjss said:
Gormagon,

But if she isn't really basking and spending almost all her time on the other side of the cage shouldn't she at least have uvb over there?
How hot is it on the cool side? How are you getting the readings? Those dial thermometers are no very accurate, can be off by 20° or so either way.

It might be to hot on the basking side and she is trying to get cool.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
Little thermometer we just kept there we usedt a infrared thermal gun. Ever since she has been acting funny and not eating the only time she is on the Basking rock is if we put her there and then she moved right off up into a tree to lay or fall asleep. Otherwise she is running and jumping up on the glass on the back of the cage.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
You'll need to move the UVB to the basking side. She'll be able to move around and regulate her uv and heat. You should add some height to the basking side as the uvb is probably not close enough, whereas if she's on the tree on the cool side it would be. Maybe swap the tree and the hidey hole rock form so she can get closer to the uv. You'll want to adjust your heat temps to match the new height.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
Thanks I just thought the tree was too high for basking. Its almost to the top of the cage. I just measured and The tree is 4 1/2 - 5 inches from the screen and the rock she has always basked on is about 12-13 inches from screen.

87112-25280347.jpg
87112-3195995046.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom