Concernee with my 6-7yo beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyLizzy

Glad to read that you're dude is on the mend. You can find the Pangea mix at pangeareptile.com. they are awesome

Thel1ght

Original Poster
Thank you and thank you izzy! Yes he seems to be on the road to recovery, i will be posting video and photos later, god willing all progresses in the direction im hoping. The support all around in this thread has been extremely helpful and im humbled. ?

Sidenote, got my probiotics in the mail today and i found the name of the antibiotic he was subscribed (someone asked earlier) at work now will post it later.

Just wondering, how long after he finishes his antibiotic cycle can he start taking the probiotic and for how long?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news your boy is doing so much better now! :D
Pictures & or a video would be terrific, too.
You can start giving him the probiotic now, even if he is still on the antibiotics. It will help settle & balance out his tummy. I usually recommend them staying on them for a few weeks following an antibiotic round or until their appetite comes back completely.

Tracie

Thel1ght

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words ?

So the antibiotic and probiotic together isnt overkill? I just fear since theyre so little compared to us... should i do them hours apart? Im guessing the dosage for the pro is about the same as the anti (1.2)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Ya know.... I have thought about that video (which has bothered me since)and the more I thought about it the more it looked like she may have gotten a hair stuck in her throat. Just another angle to ponder.

izzyLizzy

My guy had a long blonde hair in his mouth once (I'm brunette). I thought it was just a small piece, but I pulled it and it just kept coming out. He did do something similar when I pulled it out, minus that kind of head shake.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
A probiotic isn't a medication, so no worry about over kill. It would be like you eating a yogurt everyday while on flu medication. The probiotics are just to introduce good gut bacteria into his system as the antibiotic will have killed them off. I believe on the beautiful dragons website, she says .2ml-.4ml per 100g of body weight for a sick or recovering reptile.

As for the Pangea and Grub Pie, etc, they are powdered foods that you mix with water and can suck up into a syringe. I like to mix the Pangea with the Grub Pie as my dragon loves the taste of Pangea but I don't want him eating so much fruit, so I use the Grub Pie, which is made of Black Soldier Fly Larva, to cut the fruit a bit. I just drip a little on his nose and he easily laps it up. It's great for when they go off live food, because you don't want them on meds for a week while not eating. The Pangea you can get from Pangea Reptiles: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/pangea-fruit-mix-with-insects.html
The various Repashy ones you can get from Repashy or Amazon. You can also stop by your local Petco and pick up some Fluker's ReptAid in the meantime. It's not a very great quality slurry (uses corn and such) but it'll be better to get some food in him until you either get Pangea or Repashy.

Thel1ght

Original Poster
The probiotics are just to introduce good gut bacteria into his system as the antibiotic will have killed them off. I believe on the beautiful dragons website, she says .2ml-.4ml per 100g of body weight for a sick or recovering reptile.
So let me get this right, if my beardie weighs just over 530gms im giving him nearly 1.0? Which is essentially a whole syringe full?

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Yes, if you want to give him the .2ml per 100g dose, then you would give him 1.06ml of probiotcs. 1ml isn't really that much. My dragon eats about 2ml of supplemental slurry a day along with his usual insects. And remember, it's not an anti-biotic or anything, just a supplement.

Thel1ght

Original Poster
Yea i get it lol, was having a hard time wrapping my head around that especially with the syringe and all lol!

Thel1ght

Original Poster
this is getting increasingly frustrasting and dissapointing but also hard to tell where the improvement is if any at this point. The antibiotics that were said to be for 14 days only last about 8 and that was giving doses marginally less than recommended. fortunately i was able to recieve my grub pie powder and probiotic around the time the antibiotic spent.
Im ultimately just waiting to see when he'll start essentially moving on his own again, he just has no interest at all in moving on his own or even holding himself up.... If this is reversible and it does indeed take a while than its going to take longer than I ever anticipated. :(

izzyLizzy

Sorry to hear. I know the feeling. I'm in a similar situation with mine. Except he's a bit more active, using the bathroom regularly, but seems to be going downhill regardless of the meds and upping his food. So I'm there with you!

Hope yours gets better. It does take a long time. I had a chameleon with severe MBD, who survived by some miracle. But after almost 8+ months of recovery and rehab he's doing a lot better now. All I can say is PATIENCE. it's going to take a lot of work, care, but mostly patience. I wanted to give up sometimes, but it's worth it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom