Help with my Beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matsvargas

Hi guys, so I just got this new beardie about a month and a half ago from my sister's friend. From what I was told she is about a year old (he couldn't give me her exact age & birth date), so I'm pretty sure he was guessing. To my surprise when I got her, her tail has been snipped off and she was a little underweight. She's a lot healthier now and have gained some weight. I tried hand feeding her, but haven't been successful cause she would go nuts and run around her enclosure like a mad man. Now she's bitten me already and boy did it hurt. She held onto my finger a little over 10 seconds before she let go. I bled profusely and was in pain for several days. I've watched a lot of different videos on YouTube about taming your agressive bearded dragon, but none of those techniques work. I'd really appreciate any advice from you guys cause I want to be able to play with her like I do with my other beardies, and not have to get anxious that she can bite me anytime. Thanks for your time.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
First I would like to welcome you to the board.

Have you tried picking her up right before lights out. Sometimes "if they are tired" you can ease your hand towards them (from the side not overhead) and they can be more receptive to being held. Sounds to me like she wasn't handled very much, if at all. She will come around eventually, it just takes time to build trust.

PS. Show no fear, animals can sense it a mile away.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Sorry to hear this that sounds pretty intense. I'm assuming you have proper husbandry? Basking temp of 95-100, reptisun 10.0 UVB or something equivalent? As long as all of this is good and there is nothing in her environment stressing her out than this behavior can be fixed with time and lots of patience.

It sounds like she has most likely not received a lot of human interaction. The best thing to do would be to move very slow. Don't try to pick her up or touch her right now but instead talk to her often, and use feeding time as bonding time. When you feed her allow her to see your hands placing the insects into the cage for her to eat. This will help her to begin associating your hands with food and see them in a positive way. Also, a few times a day stick your hand in her enclosure, do try to touch her just simply place your hand in the enclosure for her to see and leave it there for a few minutes. If she freaks out do not remove your hand until she calms down so that you do not reinforce the behavior. The goal is to do this for about a week or two or until she is completely relaxed (not showing any signs of stress or aggression) when you are near her. Once all this happens go ahead and start trying to pet her. Don't pick her up yet just simply pet her in her enclosure. Do this until she's completely content with it (about a week or so) than begin picking her up. I would pick her up inside of her enclosure and hold her in there for a few minutes everyday. Once again if she's squirming do not sit her down until she is calm. Once she's completely okay with that than begin taking her out of enclosure for about 5minutes at a time you don't want to overwhelm her and undue any progress you've made. Do this for awhile until you feel confident that she's completely relaxed and it's safe to keep out longer.
Important note, Try not to come at her from above due to her 3rd eye she may view you as a threat. For now only approach her from the side (on her level) where she is able to clearly see you coming. If she puffs out do not allow her to see that you are in anyway intimidated or she will quickly learn "when I act like this I get my way"

I'm wishing you the very best and hope at least a few of these methods may help your girl out. Be patient sounds like she just needs time and a little work right now but she will come around in the end. Keep us updated and let us know how things are coming along

matsvargas

Original Poster
She's actually allowing me to pet her, and i talk to her every day. The only thing is, when i tried hand feeding her, she went after my finger instead of the worm. lol. She wasn't handle at all by her previous owner, his reasoning is cause he didn't trust her. She used to be super skinny, but now she is healthy and has gained a good amount of weight. I tried picking her up earlier this morning, but each time i try she flattens herself so I am unable to slide my hand from under her. I'm not going to give up on her, cause to be honest she is super sweet, she just gets pretty jumpy. lol. Thank you guys for your help. I will take all of your advices. :)

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Poor thing :( it is definitely good someone like you came along sounds like you are exactly what she needs. I have been bit so many times from hand feeding. My girl doesn't mean any harm she's just simply hungry and trying to get the food. They have great eye sight but horrible depth perception. So up close she may have thought your finger was actually food. It's good that she is at least allowing you to pet her that tells me she's not displaying a bad case of aggression. If anything she may be a little frightened, the flattening out when you go to pick her up is her being a little intimidated by the encounter. In time she will see that you are not a threat and not there to harm her.

matsvargas

Original Poster
I think it will take a long while before she gets used to someone trying to pet or hold her. She was with her previous owner for about a year and he didn't take good care of her. He put her in a tank with another female and she got her tail snipped off. Poor thing. My sister rescued a pair of beardies from the same guy, and they looked super skinny to the point u can legit put your hand under their rib cage. I don't understand why people get pets and don't spend time with them. I have two other beardies and my girl was super aggressive when we first got her, but now she the sweetest girl in the world. My male dunner has been super sweet from the first time I held him. Just added a new addition to my growing family earlier today from the reptile convention in sacramento. He's still a baby though. I thought he was going to be jumpy and snippy, but he is already tamed and loves it when I hold and pet him. Man, I used to be so scared of reptiles, but when my husband decided he wanted to get a bearded dragon I freaked out at first, but eventually, my fear just vanished. :p

MsCarter

Juvie Member
They are awesome little companions. Each one is just so unique and has his/her own little personality:)
Sounds like you guys have plenty of experience and that she is in really good hands now. I couldn't agree with you more, Its heartbreaking to see some of these creatures captivated only to be neglected.
Congrats on the new addition:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom