Droopy eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
So I'm concerned a bit because Chester has always kinda had really droopy eyes. Is that normal?
I don't think a recall when he hasn't had droopy eyes and I've had him since he was 2 months. Now he's 5 months.
Here are some pictures of what his eyes look like.

88439-7331756702.jpg

This eye doesn't seem to look as bad as his other one
88439-152368257.jpg

He's stressed out right now because he's right in the middle of another shed and hardly eats anything every couple of days then he'll eat a lot and stop again. Finally figuring out his routine.
Typically he only stresses out when shedding now.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
He's a cute little guy. From what I can see his eyes appear to be fine. Can you tell us what type of UVB light you are using? And what his current temps are? Looking at his size he should really be eating at least 2x a day every day. What is his current diet?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some of them have droopy eyes and it isn't a problem. If he's in shed, there may be a piece of shed near his eye that is causing more irritation than usual. You can try rinsing it with some plain saline solution but it will likely break free without any problems or intervention needed.

emberNchester

Original Poster
MsCarter":lutxp0ou said:
He's a cute little guy. From what I can see his eyes appear to be fine. Can you tell us what type of UVB light you are using? And what his current temps are? Looking at his size he should really be eating at least 2x a day every day. What is his current diet?
I'm using reptisun with a 5.0 HO Bulb. His temps on hot side are between 80-90 sometimes 95 but I worry because he's still little. On the cooler side it can drop to 70 sometimes but usually stays at 75.
He should be eating twice a day but during his sheds, he doesn't want to eat much at all. He's on a routine though when he sheds.
Every couple days he'all eat A LOT. Then hardly anything for 2 days.
He eats Phoenix worms currently
He'll pick at his veggies but usually leaves them alone when offered
And I'm getting dubia roaches in the mail soon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like his appetite is normal. It will fluctuate like that. If you're using the 5.0 bulb I suggest changing that out for a 10.0 bulb. The 5.0 is lower output and designed for shade animals. The 10.0 is better suited to sun loving dragons.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
As mentioned ^ when you can I'd upgrade to a 10.0 reptisun t5.
They usually will not starve themselves but also usually will not over eat. As long as he's atleast eating than that should be fine. I would continue to offer him veggies everyday along with two meals of insects. If he refuses to take them than he most likely just isn't hungry. With the veggies it's perfectly normal for a beardie his age to refuse them. Just keep offering them and he will eventually come around.

emberNchester

Original Poster
Just went to Sacramento for a reptile expo, got a 10.0 reptisun bulb. Actually got a lot of new things and feeders for Chester and even a new baby beardie ?. I offer veggies everyday and sometimes he'lol eat but rarely. I got home and all his wormies were gone so that's a great sign! Offered some dubia roaches for the first time and he wasn't having it lol maybe tomorrow he'll try them. The new baby seems to have him worried. He caught a glimpse as I was setting up the baby's 20gal tank. The baby was super cute. When he saw Chester he was immediately trying to get closer to his tank ? Not sure if that's good or bad but Chester was like 'no.' ?

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Haha poor little Chester. He's definitely being a typical beardie letting it be well known he doesn't want to share his home. Just keep them separated and it shouldn't be an issue. Glad to hear he's liking his worms sounds like he prefers them over Dubias. They can be so darn picky lol. He will really appreciate that T5 10.0
Congrats on the new baby! Keep us informed on how they are both doing :)

emberNchester

Original Poster
MsCarter":1dkl4gw5 said:
Haha poor little Chester. He's definitely being a typical beardie letting it be well known he doesn't want to share his home. Just keep them separated and it shouldn't be an issue. Glad to hear he's liking his worms sounds like he prefers them over Dubias. They can be so darn picky lol. He will really appreciate that T5 10.0
Congrats on the new baby! Keep us informed on how they are both doing :)
Definitely will! Thanks for all the suggestions and the peace of mind you and CooperDragon gave me ?❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom