URGENT Advice needed for 3 month old Beardie....Thank you in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
3 mth old Bd, female, Ameerah (name), born @ June 26th, 2016. Was perfect LAST Wed. Next day, Thursday, Sept 14, 2016, she was not moving around. Impaction has been ruled out. Took a fecal today. Should know something by tomorrow about that. She was not using her front arms normally, suddenly. She had no grip in them. As of Sunday, (today is Wed., Sept 21st.), she seemed to improve. As of today, she is using her arms better, and moving around some. The grip is still not up to par. I am hydrating her thru baths, orally, and under the skin by syringe. The vet saw her today. We are wondering if anyone has any input that might be helpful to us. I am wondering about a possible disk injury. (?) I am hand feeding her micro supers, and carnivore care. Any ideas? Please feel free to call me at 520 255-1906. I use the local library computer. I can be better reached by phone than by computer. Please text me that you are calling first, IF POSSIBLE. This is due to my not recognizing unknown numbers.

Thank you.

Emerald

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did she fall or have any other kind of trauma that may be causing a spinal problem? Has the vet performed a test for atadenovirus? From what I know that can sometimes cause neurological/motor problems.

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your response. What test is needed for adenovirus? What are the symptoms? No known injury.

Emerald

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing this evening?
Definitely check with the vet regarding an adeno test. Or you can also sign up on my adeno site if you would like to test her, also.
Did you get the fecal results back yet?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

She has Isospora, a type of Coccidia that can be very harmful in a baby dragon. Isospora may not affect an adult enough to require treatment. However, in babies, it is imperative to treat the baby dragons, kittens, puppies, chickens, etc.

Her grip has GREATLY improved. I don't see a problem there, anymore. She has just begun treatment with Albon, today. Treatment will be 7 days on, 7 days off, 7 days on, at 0.02 ml, 1x daily. I believe the attention to hydration has helped her tremendously, to get this far. I have been hand feeding her. Her next achievement will be to hunt on her own. He viv is getting aaa-nother thorough cleaning. Isospora can and will re-infect her. I will eradicate it from the viv. I am taking no chances.

How much do you charge for an adenovirus test, Tracie ? What is involved? How long for test results, etc. ? How much do you charge for a Salmonella test?

The 2 of us are volunteering at the local rest home, beginning in the near future. I will complete all treatment before doing so. I want her screened for everything. I want people to be able to have peace of mind when around her.

I have never bought BD's from PetSmart. I did so, with her. I informed PetSmart of my findings, today. I know of 3 out of 4 (including my Ameerah) have been ill, with the same symptoms, from the same viv, at PetSmart. The other 3 have died.

She has been a real trooper. She has been fantastic about allowing me to hydrate her under the skin by injection. I am really proud of her.

I have moved her to a different viv for quarantine purposes.

Take care, Tracie.

Emerald

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, coccidia can definitely cause a lot of problems in babies! I hope the Albon isn't too hard on her system, but it sounds like you are keeping her well hydrated right now.
I hope she starts to eat on her own soon, too. Once she feels better she should start to hunt on her own, bless her.
She is in great hands with you!
I am glad her grip is getting stronger, I hope it continues to improve for her.
The adeno test is $18 plus $1 to cover the swab cost. Let me check on the cost for the salmonella test, I am pretty sure they offer that too & it would be the same cost.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

My sweet Ameerah is doing well. She will be a juvenile, officially, on Nov. 26, 2016. She still does not hunt on her own yet. This is due to my hand feeding her during her illness. Also, I had a bad fall and broke my ankle in 4 places, requiring surgery. The only way I know to get to go after food, is to let her get really hungry over 5-7 days. She is small for her age. She probably always will be.

Any suggestions?

What about the salmonella test cost?

I am online only through the local library computer. I try to check my email as often as I can get to the library.

How do I send samples, and to whom, do I send it to, please?

Emeraldcoast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom