Concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

I know I may sound paranoid with my posts and Gonzo's behavior and many may think I have nothing to worry about and I get very few responses. I am a fairly newer owner and am still not sure what is good or bad with behavior, health etc. so I apologize if I seem like I worry way to much. I just love him/her so much.

About 7 months old, 17 inches long and 13.4 ounces (379 grams)

40 Gallon Breeder, Zilla slimline desert fixture (plastic cover taken off) with the Reptisun 10. uvb bulb in it. Zoo Med 150 Watt repti basking spot lamp in the Fluker's clamp lamp with the dimmer.He basks on his rock which is 13 inches down from the lamp.

Still really has not ate. Has not pooped for over a week. He still has been running around like crazy jumping and scratching at the walls. I take him out and he does the same thing in the hallway. Runs up and down it jumps up the side of the doors, etc. At night if I take him out he will slither under/into a sheet I put on the floor for him and sleep. He slept a long time last night and I picked him up and put in in his cage on a blanket and never once did he move. I had to check to see if there was breathing. At 530 am he was up perched on his log. He started acting crazy in the cage again and I took him out and he did the same thing in the hallway. Was kind of scaring me the way he was running and jumping really high hitting the door and walls so I put him back in his cage. I walked in to check once and found him perched and angled like the below picture. Kind of freaked me out he has never twisted the body like this.

Thought maybe if Gonzo is a female eggs might be an issue but there is really no digging just scratching as he jumps the walls.

Is this all normal or could there be something wrong? I am seriously concerned.

87112-771115590.jpg
87112-9800148676.jpg

This is a screenshot of the video of Gonzo jumping on the doors and walls. he isn't touching the floor and that is one of the low jumps
87112-4827766842.jpg

thank you,
Candy

Gail

BD.org Addict
That really isn't normal behavior. I think you really need to double check the gender.
Females will go off food and get really restless before laying. Some don't really dig unless they have a appropriate place to do so.
This is a good way to sex if you have a good flashlight.
http://m.imgur.com/r/BeardedDragons/s2OIALb

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
I had posted a few pictures and some people said that it looks like it might be a girl but I was also told that only being 7 months old that it might be too early to lay infertile eggs and I've been given belly rubs when I bathe him and I don't feel anything in there. Can you feel the infertile eggs? I think I am going to make a vet visit for next week just to ease my worries. A fecal wont be able to be done unless he/she poops by then. Just in case how do you make a dig box?

Thanks for the response.

Gail

BD.org Addict
They can lay at 7 months, I even heard of one laying at 4 months but thats not normal. Usually you can feel eggs but not always, especially if there are only a few.
Can you post pics again or link me to the pics you already posted? I can't help on a lay box, not had to deal with that as of yet. Head over to the breeding forum, there should be instructions there.

Edit: Just seen the picture, looks like a girl to me. Another couple clearer pics would be good to tell for sure. I would definitely provide a lay box.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
He or she could be very uncomfortable. Maybe the lack of bowel movement is a factor. Try some unsweetened applesauce or canned pumpkin (no spices) and a few drops of olive oil.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
That's the kind of behavior my girl would do when she was ready to lay eggs. I would make up a lay box just in case. I have never been able to feel her eggs, and she had 3 clutches this year.

You'll want her to have extra calcium at this time as well. If you can tempt her to eat some bugs with some additional calcium dusted then it would help.

Look at the pic I would say girl as well.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I don't think she is uncomfortable because of not pooping. She has not ate since the last time she pooped. Which was over a week or so ago. She did have a little urate come out yesterday. I have given her regular baths and rub her belly just in case it was a impaction or shedding issue. She still not go near the crickets or phoenix worms even if I try to hand feed in case she doesn't see them. She will not eat the fruits or vegetables either. I tried different kinds of baby food and she will not touch it. She licks the squash a few times but that's it. She has lost approx. 1 ounce (29 grams since 9/7/16) I will see how she acts today. Check on gathering items to make a dig box and schedule a visit to the vet.

This is this morning
87112-8326349645.jpg
87112-25280347.jpg
This afternoon
87112-4333674694.jpg

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
If you drip on her snout she won't lick at it?

I had to feed one of my sick beardies using a plastic syringe and some applesauce , there is a way to get food in her mouth that way. It can be a pain but sometimes the alternative is worse. Let me know if that's something you want more information on.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
Sometimes but not very often. We had to give medicine by syringe back in July when she got really sick. It was not a pleasant thing to do at all and she fought the whole time. Should I try baby food by a syringe? I have squash, applesauce, prunes handy.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't use prunes or applesauce unless you suspected impaction. You can do chicken/turkey baby food mixed with squash or green bean baby foods. The meat might make it more tastier to her.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
At that age you're wanting more protein, so the chicken or turkey advice would be on point. The applesauce or prunes will make her poop which could be runny due to the water content.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
Great! Thanks for the information because I did not know they could have the meat type at her age or any age. She seems to lick the squash where the others she wont touch so mixing it with that hopefully will work. Thanks Again!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
No problem! Make sure you have less meat than veg because it can clog the syringe. If you run into that problem just add more veggie or water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom