Baby bearded dragon acting weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! :)

So my 6 month old male dragon has been acting weirdly recently. Lots of puffing his sides out and bearding, scratching in the corners, sitting with his eyes closed for long periods of time during the day, especially after eating, and also often refusing to eat any crickets in the evening! The skin on his head is greyer so I think he's going to shed it soon.

He lives in a 4-foot long tank with 2 UVB bulbs, one 10.0 and one 2.0. Heat bulb is positioned on top of the tank, temperatures are 105 F and 89 F (I know that this is too hot, I've been struggling to set my thermostat up :(). I feed him crickets, calci worms and rocket, butternut squash and the occasional strawberry (though he hardly ever eats the veg I give him!). I mist him every day and bath every few days. Poo looks normal (sorry!)

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this behaviour? Could it be parasites?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Is his basking bulb in the center or to one end of the cage? He is doing this because it is too hot. You may have to lower the wattage a bit to get the Temps you want.
Is the 10.0 a reptiglo or a reptisun t8 or t5? There is only a need for 1 uvb light.
Give us a rundown on what you have.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
rebeccamonteith":1ng6zqqv said:
It is to the right of the cage, and the UVB bulb is a Repti Glo T8!
Reptiglo lights have been known to be harmful to their eyes because they Emmitt the wrong frequency of uvb. I would recommend a reptisun 10.0 t5 bulb and fixture. I say fixture because the t5 won't fit a t8 fixture. You can get a reptisun t8 10.0 but it will have to be inside the enclosure to get within 8 to 10 inches of the basking spot to do any good. Outside on the screen blocks 30% or so of the output.

rebeccamonteith

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the advice! I had no idea that these bulbs could harm their eyes! :( So a reptisun 10.0 t8 would fit the same fixture as the reptiglo 10.0 t8? The bulbs are situated along the top of the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom