help! beardie acting strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

williss90

Ive had my beardie batman for about a year. He has always been a lil small for his age but the last couple of days he hasnt eaten. Hes in a 50gal breeder 110 basking 80-85 cool. His uvb bulb is only about 2 months old. He had a strange stool 3 days ago. It looked like full undigested crickets wrapped in like sausage wraping. I powder his crickets with cal and 2 times a week i use vit powder. He seems very lathargic, and seems to have trouble getting around when normally he is very active and gets around with ease. I give him a bath at least once a week. He isnt showing black under his beard indicating any sort of stress. He holds his head up but not his upper body like he usually does. His eyes are open and clear. And when he walks he sometimes twitches his arms or legs.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
What type of uvb are you using and how close can he get to it? Is there any glass or plastic covering it?
It is possible he didn't bask properly. Does he seem to like to bask? It might be a little too warm for him now that he is a year old.

williss90

Original Poster
Hes prob about 10in away from uvb and nothing is covering it. He is basking but he wolnt eat at all. Ive tried diff veggies some fruit and wolnt even look at the crickets. I mist him every day. Hes starting to shed also but hes never acted like this b4

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you're using a T8 or a coil/compact I would try to build his basking area closer or get the bulb closer to him. 6-8'' is more appropriate for those bulbs. 10-12'' is good for a T5 or most mercury vapor bulbs if they're on top and shining through a screen.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
What brand and type of uvb are you using? You can start him on some babyfood green beans and squash and put it on his nose.

williss90

Original Poster
Its a exoterra uvb 200 coil and theres no screen between it and the beardie. I will try and move him closer to it i really appreciate the help!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
The coil bulb is really not very good at all. I'm not saying that is the problem here but it could be. It could explain his growth too. If it's warm enough outside, at least 75, I would take him out for real sunshine for about an hour or so daily. Changing to a reptisun 10.0 High output might be beneficial.

williss90

Original Poster
Ok i will try that when i get paid. I have him closer and he seems to be enjoying it but he still hasnt ate. I even tried holding a cricket infront of him and nothing, same with the vegies.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I know where you can get bulbs/fixtures cheaper than the pet store if you need help with that. I would get some chicken or turkey, green beans and squash baby foods. Mix a meat and veggie, supplement and put some on his nose and see if he'll lick it off. You might have to put some on the inside of his lip and use a cereal box top or business card to apply pressure to his teeth then put some food in. You can use a needless syringe, they are really cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom