Baby bearded dragon dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i just got my baby beardie on July 31,2016 . My sister keeps messing with him and she told me today that he fell off our couch, which is about 2 ft. He is acting lethargic and doesnt respond well to the food in his tank. When i held him he does to the tip of my hand and swivles his head, falls 'asleep' for less than a minute, wakes up and has a type of 'seizure' and flips over. This is not my first beardie as i have a healthy adult female in another tank. Any help?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about your baby. Is the floor carpet, wood or tile where he fell ? If he fell on a hard surface he might have neurological problems from a head or spine injury. Can you post a video of him ? And do you have an experienced reptile vet ?

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":2rxqsmgu said:
Sorry to hear about your baby. Is the floor carpet, wood or tile where he fell ? If he fell on a hard surface he might have neurological problems from a head or spine injury. Can you post a video of him ? And do you have an experienced reptile vet ?
The floor is wood, ill try to post a video of him. And no, my parents wont take me or resuses to take me to the vet for my beardies + its way to far away :(

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
When i checked on him he was able to raise his head up before sleeping, (i forgot to mention that his head would slowly lower down as if he were tired) though he isnt showing anysigns of MBD as i regularly dust his crickets

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon fell from the couch. It does sound like he could be injured, as well. How old is your sister? If your sister keeps messing with your dragon, it would be best that you don't allow her to play with him right now.
If you feel it could possibly be metabolic bone disease, which UVB light are you using & how often do you use calcium supplementation?
If he needs medical attention, you could take him to a regular vet for x-rays to see if anything could be broken, he deserves to be seen if he is in pain.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
Hi Tracie! He's doing better now, my sister is seven, and i advised her that she cant hold him. Hes doing alot better now. He can raise his head properly but his eating is different. His aim is slower than usual and misses some of his crickets. Other than that hes doing better. And ill tell my mom to take him to the vet for X-rays to see if everythings okay. :) oh and i dust his crickets every other day.
Lauren

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Lauren,

I am glad to hear he is doing better, with few problems. At least he is able to eat though, that's a good sign.
That's great you are using calcium on his crickets. Since he is a baby, you will want to dust once daily at least 4-5 days per week to be sure he gets enough calcium as he is growing.
Which UVB light are you using?
Let us know how the x-rays look & hopefully nothing is broken.
That's rough, I realize youngsters are interested but baby dragons are relatively fragile & can be injured easily. Hopefully your sister will learn to be a bit more attentive with him, in time. She can pet him when you have him.

Tracie

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
Hi tracie! Im using a 40watt UV bulb and heat bulb, he's acting completely normal like nothing happend, my parents said they will try to take him to the vet and i am dusting my crickets 4-5 days now. He's eating properly and has ate 5+ crickets (like he normally would).

-Lauren

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Lauren,

That's great he seems to be getting back to normal then. If he is walking normal, climbing, etc as well as eating, then nothing is probably broken. He was likely just sore from the fall.
So, if you are sure he isn't injured now then you can probably wait on an x-ray, unless you just want to be sure. :D
I am happy it wasn't more serious.

Tracie

the little guys may have been in shock. cause just remember its a small animal falling from a big height. its good that it is eating and feeling better. :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Lauren,

I hope your baby is still doing well & eating normally now. :D
Let us know how he is doing & if you need more help.

Tracie

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
Thank you guys for helping! He's back to his old self and is moving and eating properly (loves to eat his veggies) . Sadly i wasnt able to take him to the vet, but kept a close eye on him and made sure he got better. :) :) :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Lauren,

Well, luckily it wasn't more serious because sometimes they do break bones which needs vet attention.
I am glad he is all back to normal now! :D
I am happy to hear he is eating well also, great news!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom