newbie. ...so many questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I would be the grandmother to these babies. We adopted 2 babies for my two children. My kids are 9 and 15, so naturally, I am the primary caregiver. Lol. We brought the babies home a little less than a week ago. I am grateful for this forum, it has been a great help with how to care for them properly.
I bought these girls from two different petsmart stores. They were painfully uneducated on the care these animals need. They gave me a care sheet that was vague at best, and sometimes inaccurate (according to what I've read here). The babies were both marked "fancy bearded dragon", still not sure what breed they are. They had no idea of their ages. One ( currently unnamed, I'll refer to her as baby to avoid confusion ) is about 7 in. , and the other (Torn) is about 8.5 in. I'll take close up pics and attach them if someone tells me how. I would appreciate if anyone could give me an estimate their ages, and their breeds (once I figure out how to attach pics)
I originally had them housed together (because I read you could house then in pairs), but they started displaying territorial behaviors. I now have them in separate tanks. I have limited income at this time, and this adventure is much more costly than I had anticipated. I had the money to buy all the things I was told (by petsmart) that I would need which included one 40gal.tank, a few resin rocks and structures.water and food dishes, a basking light, CFL, Probe thermometer, crickets, calcium powder, dragon bites, calcium cricket food and gel, and a cricket house. I have since bought duplicates of most of these items to set up separate homes for these guys. As you can guess I am running out of money quickly, and things still aren't quite right.
Anyway, I will write about their behavior/environment, and would appreciate any help with what's normal, and what I should be concerned about. No detail too small, I invite every criticism.
After a couple of days, I have now been able to get these guys to eat, but not much. I feed them live crickets twice a day. Thorn will eat about 5 at a time, with very little motivation. Baby is usually about the same, but once ate 13 in one sitting. They also have dragon bites in their dishes at all times. They poop at least one a day, and it is the consistency of bird poop (soft brown with runny white). Sorry if that's TMI. With us nurses, it's all about the details. Lol. I have bought basking bulbs, but can't seen to get the temp up higher than 89F. I know this is not enough, please help. I know I can buy ceramic heat emitters,but where would I put them? The top of the tank already has a basking bulb, and CFL. There is not room for another fixture.
Thorn sometimes scratches at the glass, like she's trying to climb it. Baby will sleep standing upright on her hinds legs with her belly pressed against the glass. They both seem to be active when they are awake now (Thorn didn't move a muscle for the first 10 hours we had her), but they sleep a lot. They seem to enjoy being held. One evening (when they were still in the same tank with a divider) they were both "glass surfing", and I assumed they wanted to be held. I got baby out first, and thorn watched and seemed to get angry that she didn't go first. She started puffing out and blackening her beard. Idk if they get jealous, but she seemed to. As soon as I got her out too, she was fine. Lol.
I guess that's enough for now. Sorry about the long post. I just want to give them the best care possible, and definitely could use some guidance. Thanks for your patience, and any help you can offer. I'm sure I will think of more questions soon. :)

chelle4450

Original Poster
My husband just brought home floodlights, and we got the basking temp up to 102F. I have also found that my babies like their live crickets cold and immobile in their bowls. It is a trick getting them chilled enough they can only twitch their legs!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Chelle....you'll find friendly + helpful people here so hopefully can get your Q's answered. :) It's good that you separated them and got the temps. up, 102 will be fine for a basking area. CFL's are not a good source of uvb, but if they are set in the right place some produce a decent amount....just be aware that there can be problems with them. Can you post pics of both tanks as well as the dragons ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific you separated them, they will do much better with their own space.
It sounds like you have gotten off to a great start with them.
As suggested, the compact/coil light will need to be replaced. The Reptisun 10 tube bulb or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb, either one would be fine.
We are looking forward to seeing pictures.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
chelle4450":3u7cdbwk said:
I guess I would be the grandmother to these babies. We adopted 2 babies for my two children. My kids are 9 and 15, so naturally, I am the primary caregiver. Lol. We brought the babies home a little less than a week ago. I am grateful for this forum, it has been a great help with how to care for them properly.
I bought these girls from two different petsmart stores. They were painfully uneducated on the care these animals need. They gave me a care sheet that was vague at best, and sometimes inaccurate (according to what I've read here). The babies were both marked "fancy bearded dragon", still not sure what breed they are. They had no idea of their ages. One ( currently unnamed, I'll refer to her as baby to avoid confusion ) is about 7 in. , and the other (Torn) is about 8.5 in. I'll take close up pics and attach them if someone tells me how. I would appreciate if anyone could give me an estimate their ages, and their breeds (once I figure out how to attach pics)
<<< they may well be very much the same age , some grow faster than others, I'd guess about 5 weeks old.
<<< I find it easier to download the photos from the camera to my computer harddisk drive pictures folder , then upload to TINYPICs (which is free and you can choose the size (I use 17" option) , save the code "
" to notepad and insert into the post.

I originally had them housed together (because I read you could house then in pairs), but they started displaying territorial behaviors. I now have them in separate tanks. I have limited income at this time, and this adventure is much more costly than I had anticipated. I had the money to buy all the things I was told (by petsmart) that I would need which included one 40gal.tank, a few resin rocks and structures.water and food dishes, a basking light, CFL, Probe thermometer, crickets, calcium powder, dragon bites, calcium cricket food and gel, and a cricket house. I have since bought duplicates of most of these items to set up separate homes for these guys. As you can guess I am running out of money quickly, and things still aren't quite right.
Anyway, I will write about their behavior/environment, and would appreciate any help with what's normal, and what I should be concerned about. No detail too small, I invite every criticism.
After a couple of days, I have now been able to get these guys to eat, but not much. I feed them live crickets twice a day. <<< this is OK if three live insect feeds per day is not practical.
Thorn will eat about 5 at a time, with very little motivation. Baby is usually about the same, but once ate 13 in one sitting. They also have dragon bites in their dishes at all times.<<<< "bites" are worthless nuitritionally, mostly they are water. They poop at least one a day, and it is the consistency of bird poop (soft brown with runny white). Sorry if that's TMI. <<<< is normal .With us nurses, it's all about the details. Lol. I have bought basking bulbs, but can't seen to get the temp up higher than 89F.<<< what wattages are they ? if you can't move the basking spot closer to the lamp, it's matter of trial and error with different wattage globes to the "SWEET SPOT" about 100F . I know this is not enough, please help. I know I can buy ceramic heat emitters,but where would I put them? The top of the tank already has a basking bulb, and CFL. There is not room for another fixture. <<< are the tanks mesh or solid (timber) topped ?
Thorn sometimes scratches at the glass, like she's trying to climb it. Baby will sleep standing upright on her hinds legs with her belly pressed against the glass. They both seem to be active when they are awake now (Thorn didn't move a muscle for the first 10 hours we had her), but they sleep a lot. They seem to enjoy being held. One evening (when they were still in the same tank with a divider) they were both "glass surfing", and I assumed they wanted to be held. I got baby out first, and thorn watched and seemed to get angry that she didn't go first. She started puffing out and blackening her beard. Idk if they get jealous, but she seemed to. As soon as I got her out too, she was fine. Lol. <<< you have a live wire and a sweetie .... every dragon has it's own personality , some love snuggles from the getgo , others just don't want to sit still for more than a few minutes.
I guess that's enough for now. Sorry about the long post. I just want to give them the best care possible, and definitely could use some guidance. Thanks for your patience, and any help you can offer. I'm sure I will think of more questions soon. :)

CHEs are OK for heating the tanks overnight if the room gets chilly (cooler than 21degC), they don't give off visible light, just heat.

Recommend you get a basic home plug in light timer, I have all my lizards tanks ' lights on timers , on 6am , off 9pm.

I recommend you buy the live bug by mailorder in bulk, enough each order to last 2 weeks or so. Buying small lots of insect from pet shops is VERY EXPENSIVE and INCONVENIENT and you cant be sure of the quality unless you know which day they get their weekly bulk bug delivery.

Ideal insects to use as staples for your two little bubs are
calcigents = phoenix worms
silkworms (recommend small (about 1.5in) to medium size (about 2in))
crickets (recommend 1/3 size)
locuses
or roaches , sized to suit.
I feed my crickets carrot chunks (hydration and vits) , dry repcal adult beardie pellets , fresh leafy greens (ie buk choi). Commercial insect foods and water gels/crystals are a waste of money.

chelle4450

Original Poster
Thanks to AHBD, Tracy, and King...for all the support. I have finally conquered getting the temps right. My tanks aren't great, not very large, and much too deep. I'm sure that's why the regular basking bulbs sold at petsmart weren't working. My small tanks will due for now, while they are babies. I should be able to afford more appropriate enclosures next month, as I said in my previous post, I'm working with a tight budget, and this has proved much more costly than I anticipated. I have to say, it is well worth the cost though. These guys have definitely became a part of the family. They give us all so much joy.
Now to answer some questions. I am ordering reptisun UV lights today. Thank goodness I already have the fixtures (I'm using the ones that held my children's 24" black lights, which have been stored in the closet for ages). I have mesh tops on both tanks. I am using 65W floodlights for baking lights which are keeping the temps comfy for them. Thorn likes hers very hot, around 105F-107F, Baby girl likes hers around 98F-101F (anything hotter, and she starts mouth gaping ). The coolest sides are around 73F(temperature of my house). I will load some pics when I get on my PC, I've been using my mobile so far. I still am not sure of Thorns breed, but baby girl is a leatherback. They are now eating like little monsters all day. I keep their bowls stocked with crickets that I freeze every day. Baby girl will eat live ones from forcepts while I hold her, Thorn is not so comfortable with me yet. They'll take a bite of spinach, but they aren't very interested. We are doing pretty well. They are still learning to trust us. Baby girl still has stress spots, but they seem to be fading.
The only problem I seem to have now is that the flood lights are very bright. This causes more visable reflections, and seems to be stressing them out. Thorn is always trying to fight her reflection. She's the more aggressive of the two, and seems to fight with everything. She even bites at her stone water bowl and resin structures. She jumps at her reflection from her tree, and chases it around the floor of her enclosure. Baby girl is less aggressive and just waves her arms all day and "glass surfs". Can their reflections cause them too much stress, or are they just babies playing? I'd like to hear opinions and ideas to resolve if needed. Thanks again for all the help.
I can't believe petsmart classifies bearded dragons as beginner level pets. When I think of beginner level, I think goldfish, or beta. These are much more complicated than caring for a dog or cat. Again, I'll load pics soon, and thanks. Chelle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom