PVC viv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
I wanted to make a custom 4x2x2 Viv for my beardie out of PVC since my local homedepot has a little sale going on. I was just wondering if PVC would be okay due to the heat from the basking bulb and uvb light. I can't imagine fumes would be getting out or the PVC melting since I think it takes almost 200*F for the molecules to start breaking down and releases gases and causing it to deform and even more to make it melt. But, anyone use PVC vivs? I will have an acrylic door, acrylic side windows, and a screen/chicken wire top.thanks guys!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
To prevent warpage or gas emissions use a wood block or wood barrier to fasten the basking light and heat emitter to cut down the heat build-up on the ceiling.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":1lpbgsn2 said:
To prevent warpage or gas emissions use a wood block or wood barrier to fasten the basking light and heat emitter to cut down the heat build-up on the ceiling.

I was going to mount the UVB light fixture on the inside with some command hooks if I could get that to work, and have the basking light on top of the screen in one of those dome fixtures. Do you really think it would get hot enough to warp and cause fumes?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Gyro":12qq826n said:
Gormagon":12qq826n said:

I was going to mount the UVB light fixture on the inside with some command hooks if I could get that to work, and have the basking light on top of the screen in one of those dome fixtures. Do you really think it would get hot enough to warp and cause fumes?

If you keep enough space from the lamp and the fixture it should be ok... I wouldn't let the lamp fixture rest directly on the plastic and make sure it is absolutely secure (lamp stand or some other mechanical feature) I've had a lamp accedentally get moved over the plastic and after only a few minutes it was hot enough to completly melt the PVC.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Taterbug":1vipk0zx said:
Gyro":1vipk0zx said:
Gormagon":1vipk0zx said:

If you keep enough space from the lamp and the fixture it should be ok... I wouldn't let the lamp fixture rest directly on the plastic and make sure it is absolutely secure (lamp stand or some other mechanical feature) I've had a lamp accedentally get moved over the plastic and after only a few minutes it was hot enough to completly melt the PVC.

I have decided against PVC and opted for hardwood frame and high grade plywood enclosure with custom painted and sealed inside heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom