standing up against glass looking at UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! So my Ripley is about 5 months old, She's been standing up against the glass underneath her UVB light alot lately. She also sleeps in this position overnight. I was wondering if you guys ever experienced this and if I should be concerned? Is this normal and what could it mean? She's active, poops regularly and her setup is all within normal limits as I've been told in my previous introduction post.. If you need all the details of her enclosure please refer to this post --> viewtopic.php?f=44&t=226128

I've already lowered her hammock so that she is not too close to the reptisun 10.0 in a T5 fixture, but when she stands up she gets pretty close to it

here are some pictures to better explain what she's doing.

87863-2919941177.jpg
87863-3651540559.jpg
87863-1291064741.jpg

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
She is definitely too close. T5 bulbs have a output around 12-14" away from the basking spot. Maybe try putting it on top of the cage

Ripley1015

Original Poster
Yeah maybe I'll move her hammock to the other side, I don't really want to put the t5 on top because I heard it filters out some UVB, any guesses on why she's standing like that? My fiance thinks maybe it's time to change the bulb, I got it in April and I heard it's good for 6 months, some have mentioned that with a T5 fixture they can last up to a year. Not sure how often I should replace the reptisun , 6 months or a year? I am working on getting a solarmeter 6.5 to keep up with my bulbs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The T5 should last a year without a problem but the Solarmeter will help you get the most out of it. I would use a reflector with that bulb for best output. Without a reflector, the effective distance is shortened but I still wouldn't let her get closer than about 8'' because it can still get quite intense. Taterbug has a chart of outputs with different configurations. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

With a reflector, the light will be intense enough to shine through the top and still produce good UVB exposure at 10-12'' or so. Again, the Solarmeter will be able to tell you exactly. I have mine on top of the tank but I took the screen off because I don't have any other animals in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom