Paper for english on why sand is bad for Bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i need anyone who is willing to help me! So i am doing a paper in my issue and perspective english class on why sand is bad for bearded dragons. If anyone knows of any good creditable sources that i could use to help me that would be great!
thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Leah...if you Google that very subject, several reputable sources will pop up, some with graphic pics of autopsies showing beardies stomach + G.I tract filled with sand. By looking at some of the write ups you'll see credible sources, including something from this site.

Of course some owners have kept their dragons on sand, so you might want to mention that it's potentially dangerous but not in every situation.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hello! Yes, as the post above says, Google is your friend. Here are some of the biggest reasons:

1) This is by far the biggest reason: It causes impaction. Bearded dragons are clumsy eaters, and many a time they will come back up with a mouthful of sand instead of food. Calcium sand (or Calci-Sand) is the worst, because when a bearded dragon fells like it needs more calcium, especially gravid females, it will eat the sand, causing impaction. It also neutralizes stomach acids, just like eating a whole thing of TUMS would for us. Another bad thing is it hardens up like cement in their stomachs.

2) It can stain them. Yes, quite literally. The pretty, colorful sand in pet stores can permanently stain bearded dragons bodies. Although I am not sure is directly harmful, I am sure it is not positive in any way.

3) It is a pain to clean and can host bad bacteria. Unlike a non-partical substate (tile, reptile carpet, shelf liner, etc) that you can just wipe down and sanitize, sand must be scooped up, and there isn't really a way to make sure your getting everything out, so bacteria can grow much more easily.

4) It isn't really what they live in in the wild. Unlike the common misconception that bearded dragons live on rolling hills of sand like the Sahara, they actually live more on a mixture of hard packed dirt and sand. It is not loose like what we put in our terrariums.

You may want to add the (few) pros to having sand, like it allows them to dig; it looks more natural, and suggest better alternatives, like adding a dig/lay box, and adding natural looking slate tile.

Hope this helps you and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom