What lightbulbs should I use with this enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
So I was going to make a custom enclosure. A 4x2x2 made out of PVC with a plexi glass, hinged front door and two side windows made out of plexiglass as well. I am planning on putting screen on top (because I already have the light fixtures from my friend). Of course I am putting the UVB fixture inside and I am getting the ZooMed 10 or whatever, and mounting on the top inside the viv next to the heat light. So my question is what kind of spot light should I get for a tank of this material and size? My friend told me a 75W Halogen spotlight should be enough if I keep my bearded dragon about 7 or 8 inches away from the actual bulb. Also, should I keep a little like 10w or 15w white light on the "cool" side of the tank just so its not all dark? or do you think that would heat it up too much? Thanks for the responses guys and gals <3

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on how high you wind up building the basking area. A 75w halogen flood might do the trick, or you may need a 90w. You may be able to use a 90w on a dimmer if you need to cut it just a bit. That takes some trial and error once you're testing temps. You want a nice wide beam so a PAR38 or BR40 are good sizes (different reflector styles). I wouldn't put it closer than about 12'' from the basking spot partly to keep it out of reach and partly to ensure there is a nice wide beam. If you build the basking area 12'' below the basking light it will also work out well by putting the UVB light within proper range as well. You'll probably find that the enclosure is pretty bright under a T5, but you could use a household bulb on one side for more light (watch the heat) or you could get a double T5 fixture and put a UVB bulb in one side and a 6500k daylight tube in the other. Lots of good ways to do it. These are just some thoughts.

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":32n3eeoo said:
It depends on how high you wind up building the basking area. A 75w halogen flood might do the trick, or you may need a 90w. You may be able to use a 90w on a dimmer if you need to cut it just a bit. That takes some trial and error once you're testing temps. You want a nice wide beam so a PAR38 or BR40 are good sizes (different reflector styles). I wouldn't put it closer than about 12'' from the basking spot partly to keep it out of reach and partly to ensure there is a nice wide beam. If you build the basking area 12'' below the basking light it will also work out well by putting the UVB light within proper range as well. You'll probably find that the enclosure is pretty bright under a T5, but you could use a household bulb on one side for more light (watch the heat) or you could get a double T5 fixture and put a UVB bulb in one side and a 6500k daylight tube in the other. Lots of good ways to do it. These are just some thoughts.

Okay, thank you! What distance should the UVB light be? if I have my beardie about 12' from the bulb? Also does the enclosure have to be 2' high or can I shrink it a little and make it closer to 20" or 18"? I feel like 2 feet is quite a bit.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A T5 with a reflector has an optimal output at about 12-14'' below the bulb. I'd build the enclosure at least 2' tall if not more. That will allow you to build branches etc to climb on. Tall branches count as a high basking spot as far as lighting goes. I have an 18'' and took the top off to raise lighting to allow for higher basking spots and still don't feel like I offer enough climbs. I'd go 4' tall if I could.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Be aware that PVC will soften and give off very toxic fumes/vapours when hot (ie in proximity to a MVB or basking globe and ceramic light fitting).

Gyro

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":67xokvn9 said:
Be aware that PVC will soften and give off very toxic fumes/vapours when hot (ie in proximity to a MVB or basking globe and ceramic light fitting).

I thought PVC had to get pretttty hot in order for the molecules to start breaking down and giving off toxic fumes. Like closer to 200*F? I'v worked with PVC for a while now at my job and the only times it gives off fumes is when we're cutting it and it melts because of the heat being created by the friction. Should I just stick to melamine? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom