UVB Light Issue with 75 Gallon Terrarium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded to a 75 gallon Terrarium from a 40. I just realized that now I have a issue with my light. I currently have a t5 10.0 ho with a fixture that I just laid on top of the screen in my 40. Problem with the 75 Gallon I bought is it has the black support brace in the middle, so I can't just simply lay my light fixture across the top. Can anyone give me some options. Are there light fixtures to work around this, or would I be better off getting a fixture that I can mount inside the tank on the side like a see a lot of people do? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RubyLittlefoot

I would say that you are better off mounting it inside the tank. I used the 3m command strips to mount the lights in my tanks. What size is you current fixture? The 75 gallon has an extra foot of length to it so depending on the fixture you have, you may need to get a longer one anyway.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Keep in mind that the T5 has an optimal output at around 12-14'' if the fixture has a reflector. You don't want to mount it too close to the basking area by putting it inside. Can you post some photos of the top of your tank and the fixture? That might help with generating ideas for mounting it. How far above the basking area is it if you put it on top?

ctruluck1324

Original Poster
I can't figure out how to upload a photo. Could you please give me instructions? feel stupid but I cannot figure it out.

ctruluck1324

Original Poster
Never mind figured it out. My current fixture will have to be replaced. Even if I could find a way to make it work, it is not long enough for this cage. Im thinking the best thing to do is switch to the reptisun t8 ho instead and mount it on the side inside the terrarium. If I'm correct they only need to be 6-8 inches from that light so it can be a lot closer inside the cage then a t5 would. This is the cage
85703-9828794850.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since it's top opening, mounting a T8 with reflective fixture inside the tank may be less hassle, but putting a T5 on top wouldn't be a super big deal. The fixtures are very light and easy to move out of the way. If you put the basking light on an adjustable stand you can easily just swing it out of the way as well. The support brace shouldn't cause any issues and it won't melt from the UVB because they don't produce a lot of heat the way the basking lights do. Just slightly warm to the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom