Glass Surfing, But Jumping????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scherfz1

So I realize what glass surfing is and my little guy does that every now and then, but today I have literally watched him climb onto his little spot and try to jump out. what could this all be about? He is just over 3mo old and i have had him since he was just under two months old. thanks for the help!

Zack

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Zack....little beardies are very energetic and since he knows there's a big world right out beyond the glass he'd like to get to it. :) Can you post a few pics of the little jumper and his tank ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

Also a list of the exact brand of lights and the temps ?

Scherfz1

Original Poster
this is floyd, this is when i first got him, he is quite bigger now but my cloud hasnt updated yet

87940-491477172.jpg

87940-8289505392.jpg

87940-9670223197.jpg

all temps are perfect and all bulbs are correct with the tubes. he is weighing in at 30g currently and usually puts on one or to g's a day unless heavy shedding then he maintains. i bought him from Fire and Ice dragons, he's a super citrus and keeps getting brighter with ever shed!!!

Scherfz1

Original Poster
and yes after i posted the new thread i pulled him out and he ran around on my bed with me to then end up curling up under the blanket i had..

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks feisty! I'd just let him roam and explore a safe area so he can burn energy and satisfy curiosity. The little guys can be VERY curious and want to explore everything in sight. They tend to calm down as they get older so enjoy it while it lasts. It goes by quickly =)

Scherfz1

Original Poster
CooperDragon":24qrji5p said:
He looks feisty! I'd just let him roam and explore a safe area so he can burn energy and satisfy curiosity. The little guys can be VERY curious and want to explore everything in sight. They tend to calm down as they get older so enjoy it while it lasts. It goes by quickly =)

ya I am kinda excited for the tamer days though lol he likes watching Netflix with me so I am happy. but will defiantly pull him out more to roam about. his cage is pretty bare and just the basics so he could adjust easier so i figure its time to get him a little more setup so he can stay entertained in his vivy

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Reptiles aren't really clever enough to understand glass, it's clear so the figure they can just go through it. In some cases this can cause injury (like sores from rubbing or from smashing into the glass), so be mindful.

It's possible he want to explore, but if his enclosure is barren it's possible he feels unsafe and is trying to escape. More enrichment may not fix the issue (pepper still bonks into his doors and glass surfs when he wants it) but will be good for him long term.

Scherfz1

Original Poster
Well he doesn't have any type of hide yet just so he can easily get crickets. I believe he wants a hide due to the fact he went right under the banket I was using once he was done exploring.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good point. If he is showing signs of wanting a cozy area I would offer it. Even something like a habba hut half log that you can easily pull out during feeding time should do the trick. I'm still in favor of providing time outside of the tank though. Part of that has to do with enrichment and mind development and part of it has to do with the thought that the enclosures we provide aren't large enough, especially during the phases in which they want to roam around their environment.

Scherfz1

Original Poster
CooperDragon":prjbycwr said:
That's a good point. If he is showing signs of wanting a cozy area I would offer it. Even something like a habba hut half log that you can easily pull out during feeding time should do the trick. I'm still in favor of providing time outside of the tank though. Part of that has to do with enrichment and mind development and part of it has to do with the thought that the enclosures we provide aren't large enough, especially during the phases in which they want to roam around their environment.

Most defiantly I will be doing some sort of hide for him, and enjoy him out of the tank by all means, I was just going slow with it to not stress him out to his new home. case he does love watching netflix from the top of my knee :D

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
CooperDragon":3jnftii2 said:
Of course an ideal solution is a suitably sized enclosure with enrichment in it ;) Roaming/outside time is a good thing to provide but not an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom