How to tell when the end is near?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smid780

I have an older dragon - he'll be 10 in January. He stopped eating regularly in February and just ate his first worm in weeks the other day. He's lost a bit of weight buy fat pads still look good (not sunken). Nothing in his enclosure has changed and he has never brumated. He gets liquid calcium daily and is under a Megaray mercury bulb which is due to be changed in Feb/March. He is acting a bit odd also by sitting and opening and closing his mouth - not basking and not flexing his beard just opening and closing his mouth. He never used to do that either.
Thanks,
Liz

We were on this site before but I've forgotten both my username and what email I used to sign up with...it's been a while.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Liz....what's his name and can you post a few pics of him ? 10 is about average, some live longer, some not quite that long. He may be slowing down but then you can check a few things to see it anything may be contributing to his behavior that can be fixed. How long has he been on liquid calcium and does it contain D3 ? Too much D3 can be toxic and can cause illness. How does he get hydration ? Older beardies may need extra hydration since they sometimes develop kidney problems. Hopefully he can be helped and nothing too serious is going on.

Smid780

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

His name is Smid. He's been on liquid calcium since he was 2 - at a vet checkup they tested his calcium and it was low despite coating his crickets with powder so we switched. It does not contain D3. We bathe him a couple of times a week and he has water in his enclosure.
88276-7647942388.jpg
88276-4307723767.jpg

Liz

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks a little down, yes.
I would recommend getting him to a vet, to see if his liver or kidneys could be giving him trouble.
Normally that is usually what goes on with older dragons.
The Megaray should put out plenty of UVB also. The liquid calcium is great, too As an adult, he probably only needs that 3 tmes per week. He doesn't have any evidence of metabolic bone disease, had he developed it earlier?
What types of insects & greens does he eat? I hope he gets to feeling better.
Let us know how he is doing & if you get him in to see the vet.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom