Just moved and beardie is constantly freaking out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, so me and my partner have just moved into a new apartment recently. Willie (our beardie who is 3 years and 5 months old) is usually always well behaved. But lately he is scratching and running all around his tank (40GAL) like crazy and when we let him out to give him some window time he is okay for a few minutes and then goes crazy at the window. Usually he is very good at the window and can stay there for hours without worry.
We've read up on some help forums about putting a towel over his tank to help so we have it covering half the tank. We also read that adding a new animal near the tank can cause them stress, with the move our fish (1 betta and 4 platees in a 10GAL) are now beside his tank, which is also again why we covered half his tank so now he cant see them. Before the move they were in the same room together and there was never any indication that it bothered him, he actually seemed a bit amused by the little swimmers.

We have tried to let him run around the house to try and get his energy out but it seems to never end. We've have tried to allow him to "fight" himself for a few minutes which is what we use to do every once and awhile to get his energy out. But we stopped doing that so as to not stress him out anymore than he already is.
He is sleeping normally we put him to bed between 9-10pm everynight and cuddle him until we go to bed which could be for an hour or two.
One thing we found is that he calms down after we give him a bath but starts up again an hour or so later.
He's eating (he wont eat his greens cause god forbid they dont move on their own) but we bought him some butterworms (usually only treats at Christmas) as a comfort food, which he is eating.
He has pooped (his schedule was never consistent) but hes pooped twice since moving here, which we think is good because before he wouldnt go as often.
One thing we have found to try and teach him is to wait until he is calm in his tank for 10 seconds, after the 10 seconds we take him out and put him in the window. once he acts out again he goes back in his tank and the cycle starts over. we are worried he is going to hurt himself because he literally like throws himself from his hammock to the locked doors in his tank.
He is always black which is not like him. Someone please help. We have tried numerous things we have found online.

Sonny101sk

Original Poster
Also he sleeps in a cat bed with a fuzzy blanket on top, not sure if that matters. hes slept in it since Easter. He loves it and always has. (I always leave a hole somewhere for air flow and a little light if he wants to get out or anything)

SDragons

Juvie Member
It sounds like the change in environment is causing his worry. It might take him a while to adjust to the new place.

One other thought... Are you sure he is actually a male and not a female with eggs?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Willy is very cute :) but if you want to be able to tell the gender 100% use this technique.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=209431
That way you can rule out being gravid as a possibility.

Willy doesn't appear to have any eggs brewing [ they're usually fat ] It may just be stress from the move like Vulcan suggested.

Sonny101sk

Original Poster
we deff try that method i think my girlfriend has before as shes sure hes a boy, he also has a sperm plug that comes out during a poop.
hopefully his stress will settle down in the next couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom