Basking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Weve had Fuzzy for 6 days now and ive yet to see him take himself to the basking spot.
Hes usually on the cooler side of the cage in the shade.

He will stay on the hot spot once i put him there untill he gapes then he moves.

Im just wondering if hes still finding his way around the cage as its still pretty new to him and at the pet shop he had a log and a bowl for company! ?

Maybe the tank is a little hot. The weather has been good here lately and my living room has been hot.
I had to get a lower basking bulb as the 100w was sending temps to over 40c. In the basking area.
Ive lowered the bulb to 50w and temps now say 33c.

The cooler side says between 26 an 28c and isnt fallin much lower at night.
Im not sure how to cool the colder side down as its a long strip light across the back of the tank mounted inside on the lid. exo terra repti glo 10.0 uvb, 30w The tank is 4 ft long and the light is 3ft so goes along most of the tank apart from 6inches either end.

He was under his hide a bit yesterday but when i got him out he felt cold.

Should i worry?

Thanks in advance x

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Weather is cooler here today. Basking spot was 30.1c.
Ive changed the basking bulb back to the 100w to see what that gives me.
If it gets too warm i may have to change for a 75w
The cool side is still 25.2c

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
your basking spot should be about 100 f (37 c) cool side should be about 10 to 15 degrees cooler as that is what happens in shade naturally. because it is still new it could be that he is still getting his bearings so i would not worry much but if he still does not at least go into the warm side of the tank to thermoregulate in the next day or two i would start placing him there (that's what i did with my dragon and now he goes where ever he wants and i did that from day one as soon as i saw he was not using his basking spot) and he should get used to things fairly quickly.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I have been putting him there and ive noticed today hes on the basking shelf but not directly under the light. Does that count?

Putting in the 100 w bulb the temp has gone up to 41c again.

It happens as the sun gets on my living room.

Will have to try a 75w bulb i think.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
I am in the us so I use Fahrenheit but I used a conversion calculator and that temp is ok a lot of studies say between 100 to 105 degrees Fahrenheit give or take a couple degrees for the basking spot and iIhave found it to be optimal my self. i would not let it get much higher than the 41 c though (calculator said that that was equal to 105.8 f)

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
no problem i just want every ones beardie to be well taken care of and living happy healthy lives. do you have any pictures of your set up ?

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
88016-2803344559.jpg

Thats all i want too. I feel if you take on an animal it should be for life and that life should be the best possible x

Not sure why the pic wont turn.

Theres a big rock water dish on the left at the bottom back of the cage that you cant see in the pic.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
very nice did you make it your self or order it?
he does look very happy and healthy how old is he?

here is my vulcan
87675-7684227884.jpg

and my husbands hermes
87675-6303733261.jpg

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ordered just the cage but added all the furnishings. Im happy with it. It looks nice and he seems happy. Hes exploring lots.

This is my 1st dragon and im so paranoid about getting it wrong. I dont want to harm him in anyway but im learning fast.

Ive done nothing but read for about a month lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom