Underweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
You can try popping a piece of greenery in their open mouth.

You could also stop offering insects until he eats his salad. Be prepared to do this for a week or two and it may be frustrating.

ghostinstinct

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":2j4i9lf1 said:
You could also stop offering insects until he eats his salad. Be prepared to do this for a week or two and it may be frustrating.
I suspect he may be a little underweight at the moment which is the only reason why I'd be hesitant...Is this safe even if he could stand to gain a bit?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Judging from the pics ( I just noticed them, my bad) he looks to be about10 inches long. He should be eating a lot of crickets and worms at his age (guessing 2 to 3 months old).
How long have you had him?
When you get them at a pet store they are normally just babies two or three weeks old.
If I am correct he should be eating around 12 to 20+ crickets a day and keep veggies available to him but he may not eat them often.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you measure him ? Looks maybe 15 or more inches if I were to guess from the pics. He doesn't really look too thin, just keep offering 1 feeding of appropriate bugs every day and try a variety of greens and squash.

ghostinstinct

Original Poster
Gormagon":xdzjgr42 said:
Judging from the pics ( I just noticed them, my bad) he looks to be about10 inches long. He should be eating a lot of crickets and worms at his age (guessing 2 to 3 months old).
How long have you had him?
When you get them at a pet store they are normally just babies two or three weeks old.
If I am correct he should be eating around 12 to 20+ crickets a day and keep veggies available to him but he may not eat them often.
Oh, no, I've had him for longer than that. I got him from a pet store past adolescence, so I'd guess he's about five years old. If you want, I can check how long he is for reference.

ghostinstinct

Original Poster
AHBD":36l1rfq8 said:
Can you measure him ? Looks maybe 15 or more inches if I were to guess from the pics. He doesn't really look too thin, just keep offering 1 feeding of appropriate bugs every day and try a variety of greens and squash.
I just checked; he's about 14 inches right now.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
In that case his feedings should be mostly vegetables. Like it was stated before in this thread you might have to wait him out.

Or it might be possible that he is getting ready to burmate. They are a complicated critter for sure.

ghostinstinct

Original Poster
Gormagon":4jk4lj23 said:
In that case his feedings should be mostly vegetables. Like it was stated before in this thread you might have to wait him out.

Or it might be possible that he is getting ready to burmate. They are a complicated critter for sure.
I considered this, especially since he's been hanging out in the cool end of his tank more often, but he's still extremely interested in live feed, so I think he must just be snubbing his veggies. I'll try waiting him out starting tomorrow!

ghostinstinct

Original Poster
He's been really excited about eating some of the squash and veggies I've put out so far...he won't eat it off the paper towel when it's not moving, but he'll eat it out of my hand. Progress! :D

ghostinstinct

Original Poster
It's been about a week since I started (weird, I thought it was longer?). He ate a bit the first few days, pooped and stopped eating veggies again. I haven't tried crickets yet, but I think he may be beginning to burmate, as he is hanging out in the cool end of his tank a lot and pretty much sleeps all day. I have been spraying him with water to make sure he gets hydrated, and making food and setting it out for him. I'll wait another week before tossing some crickets in to see if he's definitely burmating. Will keep this forum updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom