New Beardy owner; Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjangoBeardy

I just got my first baby Beardy! He's about 6 inches long, not sure how old. I got him Thursday but my UVB bulb was delayed until Friday evening so he only had his heat lamp. After I unboxed him he ate shortly after bathing and warming up but the next morning he threw up his food. He hasn't been interested in eating since. I've tried Beardy bites, juvenile food, freeze dried criskets, and greens; and of course have been offering the Superworms I bought twice a day. It's Sunday. I know it's important for baby Beardies to eat so I'm worried since he hasn't eaten anything in several days.

He does drink water when I give him a bath.
And he's nervous/scared of me until he's out of the cage.
I do leave him alone for peace and quiet after placing his food in the cage.
Also, he's in a 25 gallon tank because he's so little.
Any help/advice would be wonderful!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
He is to young for super worms right no and, his main diet should consist of small (live) crickets at this point. Freeze dried crickets have no moisture in them and he can become dehydrated very easily. They get most of their water intake from the foods they eat. You could put a shallow water dish (with very little water in it) in with him but he may not touch it.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Do not give him anymore superworms until he's 16 inches. Babies have a kink in their system thats why they become impacted. Also its fine if you want to give them water. I do give mine water a couple times a week. Water dish is a waste imo. Also how are you taking the temps? What are they? What kinds of lights are you using? Is the uvb a coil/compact or tube? Good feeders are small crickets, small dubia nymphs, silk worms and Phoenix are all good. No mealworms or canned feeders.

DjangoBeardy

Original Poster
destiny1998":1d3b1sql said:
Hi. Do not give him anymore superworms until he's 16 inches. Babies have a kink in their system thats why they become impacted. Also its fine if you want to give them water. I do give mine water a couple times a week. Water dish is a waste imo. Also how are you taking the temps? What are they? What kinds of lights are you using? Is the uvb a coil/compact or tube? Good feeders are small crickets, small dubia nymphs, silk worms and Phoenix are all good. No mealworms or canned feeders.

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll be buying new feeders for my little guy. And I got him to eat some greens today about 30 minutes ago.

I'm using a Zoomed light kit for Django, both heat lamp and UVB, both are compact. I've ordered a digital thermometer but it hasn't arrived yet. I think the temps are appropriate as he is active and often explores his terrarium. I have a water dish (just because I already had one), but use it for dry food/greens.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Yeah i hate to say those kits are crap. Definitely need a better uvb light. Those coil?compact lights are not very good for beardies. They don't put off the proper amount of uvb and they cause eye , lethargy and appetite problems. I use a reptisun 10.0 Tube. You'll want a t5 as those are the stronger and can be set on top of the screen. What kind of basking light does he have? Good you are getting a better thermometer.

DjangoBeardy

Original Poster
I have two heat bulbs, I have a zoo med 75 watt and a standard garden (the garden bulb also contains a little UVA/UVB as it is used to grow plants indoor or outdoor) heating bulb from home depot, also 75 watt. The zoo med light bulb went out yesterday so I quickly ran to the store to get a temporary replacement... It's hard for me to get supplies because the town I live in doesn't have any pet shops and the nearest ones are 3 hours away...

A small moth got into his cage, attracted to the light and he managed to catch and eat it. The powder on it's wings won't hurt him, will it?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
That plant light is not going to provide nearly enough uvb. Your baby will end up with Metobolic bone disease. Please get a good uvb. You can order them on line. Petmountain has the reptisun 10.0 tube for cheap and thats what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom