Swollen vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently Holly went a few days with full black beard. We thought it probably just had to do with how one of her heat bulbs burnt out and once we've got her all set back up (I've switched to house bulbs for heat since they last longer and ultimately save money). The beard has completely cleared up however, a new problem seems to have arisen. Overall, she's bright eyed and scaly tailed. Her vent on the other hand, looks a little swollen. I haven't changed anything in her diet, collard greens are her staple greens and dandelions when they're available at the store and so on. The greens change per season, and her insects are gut loaded dubias with the occasional superworm and recently, wax worm treats. She's eating and pooping regularly so I don't believe it could be impaction at least. Really hoping there isn't a chance of parasites.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A friend of mine had an eastern water dragon who developed a lump on it's bum much like what you are showing - turned out being a prolapse and can be an indication of an infection and an abscess in the area - I think if this is the case it's a very urgent vet issue.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you referring just to the two bumps on the vent area or the bump on the first picture?
If so, that is completely normal there. Nothing appears to be infected or it doesn't look like an abscess would.
Sometimes their vents get just a bit swollen on the females, when they are getting ready to lay or are impacted. Has she ever laid any eggs?

Tracie

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
She's never laid eggs and she's never been around another bearded dragon at all so, she at least couldn't have fertile eggs. She'll try to dig here and there but that's because she's just always been a digger. She "tunnels" under say, blankets to go to sleep. Other than that, she's not showing any signs of being gravid. She does look a little extra chunky but she is spoiled rotten. I don't see anything that would resemble eggs and a gentle feeling of the stomach just displays, well, a fat belly.

A vet visit wouldn't hurt of course, just the bill might hurt.. hoo boy..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sure, a vet visit wouldn't hurt other than having a bill. :D
She definitely has a cute little beardie belly though! I don't think there is anything suspicious though.
If she did have any eggs, they definitely wouldn't be fertile then but infertile eggs are pretty common though. Is her vent still a bit swollen today too?

Tracie

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
Vent's still puffy, it hasn't gone down at all. Do you think it could swell earlier on in the eggs forming? I can't see or feel any lumps in her stomach.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
My dragon had 3 clutches of infertile eggs and I couldn't feel any of them. I wouldn't use that as an indicator, instead look at her behaviour. If she's glass dancing and digging then I'd make her a lay box.

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
I'm going to take her to a vet just to be 100% sure. And the vet should be able to tell me how far along she'd be so I get a better idea of when to get this lay box put together.

*edit

If this is eggs, this is her very first clutch. And first eggs ever for me so I have no experience with it.

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
It's going to be really hard to tell when she's ready to lay. When I first got her, I was still too young to start working or go to college so she was raised with 24/7 attention. Glass dancing is a daily thing with her after she's done basking or eating because to her, it's play time. And like I mentioned before, she's always been a digger. For bed time and nap time. Around 5 pm you'll hear her scratching and find her tucked in a corner trying to sleep.

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
So uh... she's laying eggs. In her tank. I had no idea. So far there's twelve but I don't know how to tell if she's done and I don't know what to do

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Let her finish. There's should be around 20 ish of them. She'll be super tired after but may not want to be handled.

She's going to need extra food and calcium at this time.

Take the eggs out and I usually freeze them before throwing v them out. If v they b ates fertile they'll be plump and roundish. If not c they will look slightly delayed and may be slightly off white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom