Why bathe a dragon? How to encourage him to drink water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGecko

My bearded dragon never seems to drink water. When I bathe him, he just gets stressed out and scrambles constantly to get out of the bowl.

ndvin7.jpg

The water temperature is 90-96 F and the water level is about up to his belly.

What is the advantage to giving dragons baths if they don't drink during the process?

How else could I encourage him to drink water?

Thank you if you have any tips.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
They get water mostly through the foods they eat. Everything (bugs and veggies) all have water content. I trick mine by spritzing her veggies with spring water, when I put them in with her. She never drinks in the bath or from a bowl. Just stubborn I guess.
Bathing your dragon helps hydrate their skin and aids in the shedding process. Not to mention keeps them clean, lol!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Some dragons just don't like to drink, most that I've had want nothing to with drinking in the tub. Many people say they can absorb water through the vent, not sure how true it is though.

Those temps are a bit warm for a bath, might be a bit much for him. Drop it down to 80-85 and see if that helps. A bigger tub might be appreciated too, one he can stretch out in.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Gail":1r6wfng3 said:
Some dragons just don't like to drink, most that I've had want nothing to with drinking in the tub. Many people say they can absorb water through the vent, not sure how true it is though.

Those temps are a bit warm for a bath, might be a bit much for him. Drop it down to 80-85 and see if that helps. A bigger tub might be appreciated too, one he can stretch out in.
We put Peaches in our tub, she likes running around in it. Good thing she isn't 6 ft long..... We would have a mess lol.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gail":1j6ok1o9 said:

<<< this keeps being suggested despite the fact that it is entirely false (an "myth" ) , the only way to get water into a bearded dragon is via it's mouth (in it's food or by getting it to drink).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BriGecko":3rkoshe6 said:
My bearded dragon never seems to drink water. When I bathe him, he just gets stressed out and scrambles constantly to get out of the bowl.

ndvin7.jpg

The water temperature is 90-96 F and the water level is about up to his belly. <<< the few occasions I have bathed my dragons (you can count those on one hand in the last 12 months) I've never let the water be warmer than 32degC and never cooler than 30degC, this seems to work OK with my dragons (and also my skinks).
And never deeper than 15-20mm for my adult beardies and bluetongues, shallower for younger dragons and smaller skinks.
The only lizards I've had that like to be in deep water are water skinks who will splash about and dip and dive and swim about on the surface and underwater like micro-crocodiles.

What is the advantage to giving dragons baths if they don't drink during the process?

How else could I encourage him to drink water? <<<< eyedropped , a few drops at a time on the snout (drains by capillary action to lips) and if thirsty it will drink these.

Thank you if you have any tips.

BriGecko

Original Poster
Good tips... larger bowl, cooler water, and sprinkling vegetables with water. I tried the eye drop method before, doesn't seem to work. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom