Please help Beardie with mbd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mando2015

Hello everyone I need help and advice okay so I have a baby bearded dragon I believe he is about 3 or 4 months old I got him at petco he was the runt of all of them there was like 8 and he was the smallest one anyways I have a 20 long tank I had the dual lights one was a basking light the other was a reptisun 10.0 anyways like 5 days ago he looked real bad he was dragging himself and acting very lazy well I took him to the vet three days ago and they said he may be developing MBD but I just don't understand I have the 75w reptisun light but anyways I read that the tube lights are not good so I went and I got the zilla slimline desert figure 18inch t8 the vet also prescribed medicine for the calcium I was giving him calcium 3 times a day but it was without the d3 vitamin because the petco people told me that the bulb was enough so I didn't need D3 well I purchased reptivite with d3 and he seems more alert more better but he has a hard time walking it seems like he still climbs it's just like sometimes just forget to move with his body please help me I want to do everything right for him

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
vitamin d 3 and calcium are the best to help also if you can get him outside to get natural sun light that is always better than artificial stuff

mando2015

Original Poster
I live in Indiana the weather is fine right now I'm just worried about the humidity it's like 75 humidity level outside

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were you initially not using a UVB light but just a Reptisun basking light? Or were you using a compact/coil Reptisun UVB light along with a basking light?
Which UVB are you using now, the Zilla T 50 series? Those are ok lights but the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulbs are better. The tube bulbs are very good, just not all of them are.
The T8 tubes are an older model but there are the T5 tube bulbs now that are higher output of UVB you could consider later on.
You are giving liquid calcium 3 times per day or 3 times per week?
Be careful as to how much Reptivite you give, because it has synthetic Vitamin A that can be easily overdosed. The D3 is important, but not as much so if you have a good UVB light.
The Reptivite is a vitamin with calcium & D3. You could consider getting just a calcium with D3 to give instead. You can give the Reptivite 2 times per week.
Though, if you are giving liquid calcium, he wont need powdered calcium or he could get too much calcium instead.
Is he eating anything?
You could get a dehumidifier to help with excess humidity if you need.

Tracie

mando2015

Original Poster
No I have always used a uvb light it's the 10.0 reptisun coil and I also had a basking light I know all his Temps are good and everything and I'll be sure to get the new light soon then I didn't know about that new bulb and no the medicine the vet gave me she said to give him 1 millimeter a day and give him calcium powder 3 times a week and yes he is eating like normal his greens which is celery and also green beans and the humidity is fine in my home it's just outside where it's high so a dehumidifier won't work I just want it to be safe to take him out I have him by my window and it gets alot of sun but he just does not seem better he keeps walking funny like if his little legs just forget to move and he wasn't like this when I first got him I just don't understand I'm trying so hard to make everything right for him I feel like I'm just hurting him more than anything in the beginning he had his reptisun light and I gave him calcium powder without d3 but idk why he started showing signs of mbd what am I doing wrong?? His Temps are 105 so I know he can digest his food right I just need help

Gail

BD.org Addict
Its the coil bulb, they really aren't that great. A reptiSUN 10 long tube is what you need. Check petmountain.com, they have very good prices.
The outdoor humidity won't hurt him, its stuffy humid cages that cause issues. He can't get any UV through the window, the glass blocks it all. Get him outside, it will help a lot. It can take awhile for the symptoms subside, just give it time.

what is the medicine the vet gave you? I'm kind of surprised they didn't give him a calcium shot unless he is quite small still.

mando2015

Original Poster
Okay thanks and yes he is still small and she gave me neocalglcon or something like that I give it to him by syringe

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
The humidity outside is not that much of an isueif it is only for like an hour a day iIlive in ohio and it is about the same here and iItry to get vulcan out every day on the weekend ( iIwork thirds and when iIget home in the morning it is too cold to take him out) only times I do not is when it is too cold or it is raining. High humidity is not good but can be tolerated for short periods of time

mando2015

Original Poster
Oh okay I understand and I know a silly question but can I take him out on regular grass I don't want him to get any parasites or anything

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
you want to be absolute positive no pesticides or herbicides have been used on your lawn or the neighbors too I have read several stories on here where people have lost their babies because of it. and as far as parasites go that is not too much of a concern for me i mean yeah there are mites but if you are in a clean area you probably wont even need to worry and if you worry about every little thing you will have a heart attack eventually and we do not want that.

mando2015

Original Poster
Haha yes true okay thanks see today my beardie Is just laying on his log all out on it I don't know if he's getting better worse but I'll take him outside today I'm going to a reptile expo today and I'll try to get a new uvb bulb now that I know the t8 are outdated!

mando2015

Original Poster
He is having twitching it's just so weird when I took him to the vet he wasn't twitching he just wasn't using his back legs I've been giving him his medicine I don't know why he's getting worse

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
my husbands hatchling was twitching for a bit too (he was the only one the store had and we couldnt put uvb on him right away because i had to free up another lamp still) but as soon as i got the uvb on him and calcium in him he was just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom