The juvenile transition to adults :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my bearded dragons are the same age, 1 year old. They have daily veggie mix I give in the mornings and I also spice it with pellets to add extra little bit. However right now due to me and my gf work and busy home life with two kiddos, two cats, a dog, and to mention :) 130 chickens :).
They r fed only three time a week with live crickets and superworms. We offer the canned products and my Pinkie friggen loves the freezed dried meal worms Curious is a fan of the freeze dried Crickets. Both eat them down without hesitation.... being a year old I was under the impression that they would be going towards a more veggie diet which we can handle easily no doubt

Question tho I have been trying to research the pros and cons of this kind of diet?

At a year old? Is this a turning point toward veggie?

Also? I have asked about 100 different pet store employees this question
If I have to offer them any of the ""easy to go"" meals what would u suggest to maximize the health.
As I sit here my lovely gf has added another question :)
Do the bags of premade salads with multiple blends of greens offer any that be decent to offer the dragons?

Any ideas or suggestions on how to maybe improve on this diet plan? I'm not huge on offering them freeze dried or canned proteins however live bugs kinda not in the picture as of right now.

Trying the best to offer the best is all :)
Thanks in advance to any suggestions what betters the life of my pets will always in turn better my own life

MsCarter

Juvie Member
At 1 year old you really want to start doing mostly veggies. I would offer the salads every day and bugs every other day. I would personally stay away from the pellets and canned/freeze dried food and stick with live bugs. At this age you can do a few super worms every other day, crickets, calci worms...whatever good staple insect you choose. They are adults now, they still need protein but not as much as they once did

ruben0311

Juvie Member
the packaged salads are ok, just have to find the right blends. If they are eating greens good then you wont have my problem... Fred is so picky and will only eat his bugs that all the greens go bad before i even make a dent in the bags. I just buy the greens from the grocery store now, dandelion and others are only like one buck each so for 5 bucks i can make a nice mix to make a nice display in his cage... i say display cuz he refuses to eat the damn things.... :angry5: ... anyway, if they eat a particular food then stick to what works for you, of course live food provides stimulation however food is food, just make sure you are providing dusting as needed. i think the main thing to just look at is the mass of your beardie and it's activity levels... wish mine would eat freeze dried... :x

CURIOUSpinkie

Original Poster
This takes a bit of the worry off my shoulders, weight wise
Curious is awesome and quite large and usually less active in the evenings and will look at you like Wtf is that green shtuff in my food bowl?

Pinkie is smaller however a different type tho so I'm not to sure of he is just smaller in general not from lack of feeding. They both eat fairly well with two kiddos and myself and gf I have no issue going threw produce here not much goes bad in this house :)

To mention tho I actually been eating much better since the lizards took over the fridge crisper, I used to be the iceberg lettuce and have at er kinda salads but after learning that it's pretty much paper water and switched to the dark greens way better over all.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
The only thing I have herd about the freeze dried insects Is that they lack nutritional value as well as moisture and after awhile only have an exoskeleton to offer a Beardie. that is the only reason I have stayed away from them. Since silkworms are so hard to care for and somewhat pricey I wanted to get a can of freeze dried silks for my girl. That's when the girl at my pet shop told me this. Than again this same girl told me giant meal worms are better than supers and make excellent staples lol.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
As far as freeze dried items, it retains the nutrients that it had when freeze dried. the question arises as to what the actual nutrition was, for that matter you should always dust and supplement with various other veggies and greens to ensure maximum effect. Nutrients will not dissipate from freeze dried items, but the lack of moisture is true, however presoaking will usually assist with that or just misting slightly.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
ruben0311":65gbsgsb said:
As far as freeze dried items, it retains the nutrients that it had when freeze dried. the question arises as to what the actual nutrition was, for that matter you should always dust and supplement with various other veggies and greens to ensure maximum effect. Nutrients will not dissipate from freeze dried items, but the lack of moisture is true, however presoaking will usually assist with that or just misting slightly.

Thank you. I may go ahead and try out the canned silks as treats than

CURIOUSpinkie

Original Poster
The chickens started out as a hobby, and now I kinda really enjoy them. Also the free eggs and Poultry to feed the few humans in my house is an added Bonus hahahaha

That was actually a *facepalm moment when u mentionee misting or soaking the freeze dried foods, makes total sense

As for dusting, i use calcium dust(a dusting every second or third day and I'll always dust my live food)
^^ this is to much or too little?

literally the only part of owning a beardie I worry about, is that i was told to use Vitamim drops ONCE a week. I have tried to look into this part of their diet plan but made no real answer, I really don't want to overdose my little guys. I have a hard time with this because I don't do vitamins for any of my other animals as I feed them all a really good diet "I think better then my own sometimes" so with my lizards having food offered and prey to catch? Is this absolutely needed and of so how much and what brand is the healthy choice. Drops just seem over kill on their system with having a healthy food source.
Corrections if Im wrong tho or enlighten me if u can,
Knowledge is power :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom