Shiro's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to introduce my new baby beardie, Shiro (it means white in Japanese) becuase he or she is a white hypo beardie.

Really happy to have him/her and I hope questions and answers on this post will help other people that have a baby beardie.

To kick it off she/he is stunning and very cheeky already! Took dubia from my hand without blinking and jumped onto her hammock and is happily watching her new tank.

So far so good and vet check next week and every six months from there on.

My beautiful girl Tengu will be sadly missed but she taught me a lot and she will always be in my heart and memories, RIP Tengu chan we love you so much.

81643-5623108963.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
She is very small for her age but she's going to catch up. Put as many roaches as will fit in the dish and let her eat as much as she wants. She'll be eating 50-60/day soon, so you might have to let the pet shop know you need baby roaches and worms, too, small phoenix worms would be great for her, plus small hornworms and silkworms, too. Any small worm would be good for her and get her growing. Don't forget, Imp was 60g at 3-4 mo old when I bought him and he lost alot of weight just after.

I'm so impressed that she already trusts you enough to get on your hand, sleepy or not. I think it's great and keep up everything you're doing! It's working!

As for losses, but I've had alot and all things I and my vet couldn't control. And you're right, it's not that I don't want more dragons, I just need more space for the kids. So Cierra will go into Gabriel's tank when he passes, Imp will get Cierra's tank (I" higher) and stay behind the sofa. Then we get the dining room table, which will be a good idea. it will fit all of us to eat (If I even join them). But at least they're dropping food on tile, which is easier to clean up.

Back later, making pancakes for everyone.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She's not a huge eater. She will eat around 12 dubia each time, so in a day she will eat say 23 but she won't touch veg yet.

I think she's still getting used to the tank and trust etc. Last night when it was lights out she had a good look around the tank which was interesting to see.

Get some different protein today or tomorrow. Difficult thing is getting small enough bugs!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Stick with the roaches if you can't find anything small enough. They're good for her and she's eating plenty for her size, that will increase more as she gets bigger.

She sounds so curious, so fun to watch. And I'm so glad she's getting used to you but it will take a bit more time probably.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She's taken to hiding behind a rock! Spends a lot of time there. Dam clever!!!! I held her this morning and stroked her. She legged it afterwards!

Funny trick is to let her walk into the feeding pinchers and put her on my hand that way. She's not scared of pinchers because they give food!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
What's a pincher?

You sound like you're having alot of fun with her and she's getting more used to you every day. If necessary, remove the rock, she shouldn't be hiding at her age, she should be basking or under her UVB.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She basking behind the lower rock. She basks on top as well as well as hammock. She's a mischevious little thing! I told you she's 6g and 13 1/2 cm?

Yeh hiding to keep safe I think. She does wonder around though.

Pinchers errrrr feeder things like two long chopsticks but together. What do you call them?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
We call them tongs. The long ones. I gave the one I had to my friend, who's allergic to supers and roaches and yet has 5 dragons. LOL Her roach colony is in my house (I made it for her a few years ago) and her fiance found a small colony and gave it to me to add hers. I also bought 200 roaches in that tank and that's what I'm feeding Imp. So you know I told you I had to force feed Imp and he was totally against it. I gave up and put lots of med to small roaches in his food dish and some are disappearing. So have to check if they disappeared into his tank somewhere or if he's eating them. I'll take his tank apart while he's outside in the sunshine (away from the grandkids) and see if he is eating them, if he is, it's not alot but enough to make me feel better. I still give him the mix everyday, without it he doesn't seem to be able to gain weight.

Oh, I'm glad she's getting everywhere, whatever she wants to do right now is fine, she needs to feel safe everywhere in her tank. After all, it is glass and babies are used to hiding behind things. When I bought Issy and brought her home (1st female after Sweetie, a rescue from a pet shop) and she hid behind one of the long silk leaves on plastic, held up with a suction cup. She slept on the back of it or on her vine, every night, just very high up, so it's not unusual for her to do this.
Issy in her safe place:
11887-3978496972.jpg

And later on, she waved to herself in the glass from the top of her leaves.
11887-9921969193.jpg

I found Issy at the bottom of a tank at a pet shop, not where I normally go. I bought her for $50 and brought her home, fed her baby food and lots of supplements (she'd lost 1/2 her tail, bitten off by another baby in the tank). She was very small, she was already more than 3 mo old. I brought her home in fall 2008 and she passed from a virus in Mar/2010. RIP my sweet Issy.
Here she is at about a year old, maybe older. She liked to help with the dishes :lol:
11887-9235775447.jpg
She posed for Christimas/09
11887-9034865964.jpg

So here I went on another voyage because of your little girl. It was good to think about my Issy again, she was a very special dragon and grew up with Rubio and Sweetie, then Leo. I got Rubio and Issy at about the same time, the same age.

Your little one is under very good care, thanks to Tengu and how you and she developed your deep bond. Now this little one will get the care she needs because of Tengu, it's a continual link. Here's to all our babies :love5:

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes and very sweet hearing about your passed beardies :) :)

They were lucky to have you care for them. Short life but bet they loved it!

Well believe it or not I have her her first bath! The tongs are a great way to get her LOL what a great idea! I don't pinch them together obviously she seems to grab them and feel safe and then to my hand. It's perfect!

I then put her in shallow water with a hand towel for traction. I thought she would GO MENTAL but she didn't. I could stroke her and droplets on her nose. Not sure she drank but at least the water will hydrate her. It's all a learning curve for her now as well as me.

LOL as I look up she's on the sliding glass thing waving at me. So cute!!!!!!!!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

Funny girl just basked and ran down and licked everywhere and then jumped down into her glass bowl a donate some dubia and jumped out again HAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Exploring a lot and getting to know her way around. It's so sweet seeing this. A baby is hard work and scary but so rewarding when you see them doing this.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh I agree, you're seeing it all first hand and she's trusting you more every day. It's wonderful to hear about it, don't stop.

Imp tried to sleep in this am, but I decided he needed all his supplements, plus mix.

Gabriel had his 3 ml of mix an tumeric.

Very quiet dragon wise with only 2 and they're slowing down, too.

This weekend went better than last weekend and I think it's because of the double air mattress that I bought Eric. They all had good sleeps last night, so that should continue every night. And he'll sleep on his own for the next week, until Friday night. I think the kids are learning that Nanny's house is very different from their house, but doesn't mean they can't enjoy themselves here. They get to jump on the mattress at night, Eric takes the air out every am. Then pumps it back up, so the kids have space in the living room. It's been quite a change, but they were less emotional this am, helped that Nanny made pancakes yesterday and this morning. Then blueberries. They enjoyed their breakfast, and easy done and cleaned up.

I've decided that I'm going to get some meals together for the weekend for the kids. Have a crock pot after all. Will have to look up recipes. Should prove interesting. Eric has to clean up.

Your little one is doing so very well, glad you're enjoying her as much as you are. The bond is going to be strong and early, you'll see.

It's going to be fun watching her grow. Eating what she is right now means she will start growing soon.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":ve1zj3qk said:
Lol. I love reading about Shiro. Can you post a video of her?

I am happy to hear that. Video.............. probably not LOL one day I probably will. I'm not a video person, photographs.. :D

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Double air mattress, crock pot, pancakes :D mum again!

Glad its all going well and settling down.

I do worry about Gabriel though :(

Well Shiro is starting to get comfortable! :lol: :lol: right now she is on her hammock standing very tall and tail up watching me as I type just like Tengu did. This morning I held her for ages and stroked her. She doesn't open her mouth now and licked my finger this morning. She ate about 10 dubia this morning and more in their waiting for her.

She is really coming along. It is so ice to see her come to the front of the tank and watching everything going on. She is such a funny girl. Oh and after I put her back in the tank she just stood there and didnt run and hide so that was nice.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: she just closed her eye on me when I said her name!!!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes :)

But I do notice she hides in the leaves a lot. I worry that shes not getting enough heat because the leaves are higher than the light. They are right to the top of the tank. Should I move them?

Right now she is in them. Looks very comfy but like I said I want her to have more heat and UV. Also I think she is waiting for me to grab her because she cant get down :lol: :lol: maybe not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom