Hello from New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
What part of nz are you in? And if is just night it comes on and I have heat pump on ( which I do through the night in winter at 24 all night) that would mean CHE wouldn't come on wouldn't it?
The breeder just uses 100w Phillips at 40-50cm away from basking spot and a UVB so it's what the dragon is use to so just seeing if it's likely I will need one - don't want to spend $200 setting up heat emitter and safety cage etc to find it never comes on ... Does yours come on during day ever or just night? And do you run heating at night in winter ?
Sorry for all the qs just want other opinions on not having one in nz

Scotttnz

Original Poster
Caspersmama":2rw6roh0 said:
What part of nz are you in? And if is just night it comes on and I have heat pump on ( which I do through the night in winter at 24 all night) that would mean CHE wouldn't come on wouldn't it?
The breeder just uses 100w Phillips at 40-50cm away from basking spot and a UVB so it's what the dragon is use to so just seeing if it's likely I will need one - don't want to spend $200 setting up heat emitter and safety cage etc to find it never comes on ... Does yours come on during day ever or just night? And do you run heating at night in winter ?
Sorry for all the qs just want other opinions on not having one in nz

I'm in Auckland. The room temperature will make a big difference, so you just have to get a good digital thermometer and monitor it. I got one that shows the temp at both the basking spot and the cool end of the enclosure. It took a bit of trial and error with different bulbs to get a range I was happy with.

Damn, I want a heat pump now! :)

I'm still building it ( pine with rimu cabinet doors at front , will water based polyurethane it 6 coats for safety - 1m X 55cm deep by 60cm high - going to use rock backing and for the bottom a desert coloured AstroTurf ) then will set it up with UVB tube and basking lamp with a dual zone thermometer so I can see the temps are good for a month or so before I get him
Apparently the temps don't need to always be the same as in the wild they have temp drops and changes and night is a bit cooler obviously - as long as it doesn't drop below 15c ( which should be easy with heat pump on at night in winter ) I hadn't heard of not using a heat emitter in new before breeder told me what he does - then I researched Google for pages in nz talking about it and it seems a few do it

Also did you find a decent sized hide for him here? I'll get Casper a piece of driftwood as similar to yours as I can find ( as I love yours!!!) but I want a hide for the cool side too ...
In caspers hot side I can't build that up to high as he needs to be 40cm from the 100w Phillips bulb so I'll buy a low basking rock thing from eBay but the cool side I'll build up high so he can be closer to UVB tube with driftwood and a hide - but I'm struggling to find a hide that will last him from baby to adult - have you had any luck ?

Scotttnz

Original Poster
Caspersmama":37k7d1e2 said:
Also did you find a decent sized hide for him here? I'll get Casper a piece of driftwood as similar to yours as I can find ( as I love yours!!!) but I want a hide for the cool side too ...
In caspers hot side I can't build that up to high as he needs to be 40cm from the 100w Phillips bulb so I'll buy a low basking rock thing from eBay but the cool side I'll build up high so he can be closer to UVB tube with driftwood and a hide - but I'm struggling to find a hide that will last him from baby to adult - have you had any luck ?

I made a hide out of the offcuts and left over tiles from the base, and he seems to like it. But I think he will outgrow it pretty quickly with his summer growth spurt so I will have to make something else soon. Sir Ed has started to get more active and eating again after not eating much at all for the last few months, so I'm sure his growth rate will take off again too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom