Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well, house is almost cleaned up from Leo and Safara's latest visit. It was soooo hot on Saturday, it was hard to keep them cool, so they ended up having 3 showers with Daddy during the day. Sunday was alot better and they left by 2p, Eric was taking the out for awhile before taking them home.

So we've settled into more of a routine during the week, but it's still hard to keep up with those two on the weekend, they are truly bundles of raw energy. Safara makes me laugh, she doesn't believe in the word "no" and she has a piercing scream that is brought out whenever things don't go her way. So I just shush her and that stops her in her tracks. It's fun having them over, but we still need to baby proof more. Oh well, we'll get there, they'll be here every weekend, gives Tara a break and much needed Daddy time.

So brumation is official, Nathaniel and Castiel have been down for awhile and now Cierra is hiding herself as best she can. She's decided she doesn't fit into her hide anymore, which isn't true, but she's stopped trying. I cover her with a blanket when I notice her hiding, see what she wants to do tomorrow am..

Gabriel is still with me, he still has his coloured beard on every day and still manages to get around some.

Imp is still losing weight, he won't even eat the roaches I got for him, so I'm giving him the mix again and hope he'll eventually eat the roaches. I do force feed a few to him every day, to prevent too much weight loss as he's very energetic. At least he'll eat the mix.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thank goodness the kids will listen to you; there's nothing worse than out-of-control kids who can't be shushed.

Brumation had hit my home, too. Gianna had barricaded herself inside her cave since the weekend (maybe longer, can't remember). Squirt hasn't moved from under his blanket since the weekend. MoMo, however, had been getting up every morning, climbing up to the top of her cave to bask, eating greens and worms (finally), and going potty. At least I still have one beardie to love on.

I'm glad that Gabriel is still hanging on. Give him a hug for me.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
That's good.I'm glad Momo is up to keep you company, didn't she just lay 2 clutches an enormous amount of eggs not long ago? She can't brumate until winter, then :mrgreen:

Imp is trying to brumate, but I won't let him, he's too skinny for his frame and still won't eat on his own. I think there's something wrong with his tummy. So when I take Gabriel in, I'll ask if I can bring a fecal from Imp, too, and have him looked at, maybe an xray. I'll see how he does this week, last week he lost 12g, not impressed and I was feeding him small roaches, at least 15 a day, so this week he's getting roaches and mix to see if that makes a difference. I give him 1 ml of Tracie's reptophilus daily, hoping that will help. So we'll see how that goes. Any suggestions, let me know. Or is it just being an older juvie?

Gabriel insists on jumping off things & ending up on his belly, especially the beardie sunbathing chair on the balcony. With a big thick towel from my mom :D I'm giving him the Tumeric, it doesn't seem to be making much difference but he really likes it mixed up in the mix. So he's getting that almost daily again.

It's weird having 3 lights off because of brumation, especially so early! Nathaniel went down in July! First time I've ever had beardies brumate in summer time.

Eric is doing really well, he's taking care of his kids on the weekend and his dog & work during the week and managing. He said his depression is going away (just the blues, not full-blown, at least not so far). I'm very proud of him, even though irritated about not cleaning up the kitchen to my standards. I'll have a talk with him later...for the meanwhile, I pile whatever he leaves out on the stove. :lol:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Losing 12 grams in one week is too much weight, even for an adult.
I hope Imp will start to eat again and get back to normal.

Doesn't Gabriel know that he can't be jumping off of things and landing on his belly? Tell him that Auntie Gina will spank his butt if he doesn't stay calm. :wink:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I have no idea what's up with Imp, if I don't force feed roaches and then give him the mix daily, he loses weight. He's really active in his tank, loves to run back and forth but when he's on the ramp he stays up there and doesn't wander around much. I don't get this not eating at all. I'll keep at it. I might just take him in to the vet mid September (when I have $ again) and get an xray done to make sure all is right in his digestive tract. He's the one who ate ALL my roaches from 4 mo to 7 mo and now he hates them? Too bad!

And yes, I do tell Gabriel that every time but he does it anyways. Brat. I can't watch him every minute and even if I did, he's too fast for me to catch, so will have to give him only a certain time outside and bring him in, same on the ramp. He goes to the vet on Sept 3 and I hope he's ok. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but still give him Serrepeptase daily and tumeric in 3 ml of mix. I don't give him worms anymore because they seem to constipate him and he does better on the mix, digestion wise. Give him greens, though. He's gained over 20g since we last saw the doc and it's not food, so the aneurysm must still be leaking. I don't want to lose him...

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
sweetiepie9":ieoxod91 said:
He's gained over 20g since we last saw the doc and it's not food, so the aneurysm must still be leaking. I don't want to lose him...
:(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope Gabriel is OK =(. Have you been giving Imp some probiotics? Does the inside of his mouth look OK? Maybe he's just in a phase where he's more interested in exploring than eating.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I think so, he's very active. I've started leaving dubia in his dish in his tank and they're slowly disappearing, so he's either eating them or they're escaping. I'll have to take his tank apart at one point to find out.

And yes, he has 1 ml of Reptophilus every day after his calcium, then he gets fed.
Not sure what's going on, but we'll find out mid September, when I have vet $ again.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So I took Gabriel to the vet on Monday afternoon. His right eye's issue is caused by his bottom eyelid being swollen, so he's on antibiotic drops twice a day for 2 weeks. As for the aneurysm, if the artery that's being affected isn't connected to the heart, then if the bubble bursts, his abdomen might be able to absorb the extra blood. It just depends on where the aneurysm is. So he's home and full of energy (for him), swimming in his bath, eating the mix with tons of tumeric and feeling better. He likes to jump off high areas onto his belly, but he not allowed to do that anymore. I can't put him up on anything high, not even a couple of inches. He's such a brat and I love him so :D

Imp is doing well with being fed roaches and mix, he was up to 440g on Monday, so that was a good thing to see, I'll be continuing with that daily. He needs to gain weight and get his appetite back.

The other 3 are still brumating, not sure how long they'll sleep. Have to give them water this weekend, trying to just syringe feed them instead of baths, see how that goes for awhile.

So I got my new leo today, she's orange with a white tail covered in brown dots. She's got eerie silver eyes. Beautiful! No name yet, she was never named, so have to think of a good one, any suggestions?

She's very fat, so I'll be working on that. No supers, only roaches and only a few every 2nd day. She is 100g and shouldn't be more than 55, so has some weight to lose, her belly is huge and not good for geckos, don't want her sick with fatty liver disease.

I'll keep you all posted.

So we're getting to the point that the grandkids find non violent things to do and Eric takes them out quite a few times a day. It's been too hot to take them for more than 1/2 hr, but I'm hoping, now that the hot is gone, that is stays gone!

I've decided to put Gabriel in my room, he'll still have the TV to watch. We need the dining room table, having the kids eat on tables in the living room isn't working. It's carpeted, always messy. The dining room table is over tile, so easier to clean up and the mess is contained in one area, near the kitchen. So that's what I'm going to do. I always said that my bedroom was no beardies living in there but this will work out well. He rests quite alot during the day and he won't mind being on his own. He can't see anyone but those on the living room floor and hasn't seemed interested lately. So I'll just move my clothes off the credenza and Eric and help me move him in. Then get the dining room ready. This will take awhile, I need to buy a new converter for him. And have a plug nearby. There will be some figuring out to do.

It's not been too difficult with the kids on the weekends, but Eric has become lazy about cleaning up, so getting him on this project will hopefully get him going and it'll be easier with the kids at the table, he can clean or put in dishwasher and keep the counters clear. That's all I ask, have my tidy apartment back.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope it all works out well for Gabriel. We need some good news on here. All doom and gloom lately =/. Due for some wins...

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Glad to hear about Gabriel, tell him I said to stop jumping!
Yay Imp!! :blob5:
Ooo I can't wait for pics of the chubby leo, congrats! I love their eyes, so pretty. Maybe Clara? That's a fourth C name but its nice, LOL.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Plus Safara, my 22 mo old granddaughter, managed to sneak into my room and pull my laptop off the bed and break the USB ports, I can't afford another computer yet, so no pictures. I'm supposted to take the computer in to be fixed but not sure I want to bother. So that's why no pictures lately.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well, it's been almost a month since Eric moved in and we've gotten alot more able to cope with the grandkids when they come over. They'll be here tomorrow night until Monday afternoon. It's a vacation, labour day weekend, so Eric said he'd take the kids on holidays. At least there are lots of parks for them to get out to, just walking up and down the street and visiting with everyone who's outside keeps them busy. Bella is thrilled with all the dogs she's meeting and Eric takes her to the dog park, with the kids sometimes, so Bella can have a run around. Gives her a break, too.

So all in all, we're keeping our sanity, barely, and I'm thrilled to have so much time with my grandkids! Having Daddy around to hand them over so I can disappear into my bedroom helps, too. Gives him a break and then gives me a break, works out great.

So Imp decided he didn't want to dragon today and stayed in his hide. Gabriel was up and spent a good part of the day, leaning on a cushion, watching TV and now he's in the same place in the living room, sleeping. I have to wake him up a bit later to give him his 2nd eye drop.

The other three are still snoozing away. I'll give them water in a bit. I have to clean out the bug tanks, so later! Still can't post pictures....drag....would love to post pics of Leona, my new leo. I've decided that I like that name best of the ones offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom