Possible prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntieP

My Bearded dragon can't use his back legs and his anal area is swollen. There are no vets in my area that deal with reptiles. What can I do? He is in pain, I think.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible that he's not using his back legs because he is impacted. When did he last poo and what has he eaten in the last day or two?

If the area is just swollen and nothing is hanging out, it's not prolapsed. Can you post pictures of the vent area for us? This will help you. https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then post the XIMG link here.

Does he have a black beard and/or tail? How old is he?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is not doing well.
Pictures would be helpful for us, as suggested.
Please review your tank setup with us also, such as your UVB lighting, temperatures & supplementation along with insects fed.

Tracie

AuntieP

Original Poster
I don't know why I cant upload my pictures! I went to the upload site and it wouldn't recognize my images. Anyway, I don't know how old my dragon is. He came to me as a rescue and I have had him 7 years or so. He is not eating, but I have given him a warm bath every day. I give him a belly massage every day. I have put Bag Balm on the protruding area, so it doesn't dry out. From pictures I have seen, I think it is a prolapse. Is there anything else I could do? Thank you for the advice.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
If it is a prolapse then you need to give him a warm bath in sugar water for 20-30 minutes. That will help with the inflammation and it should be able to retract inside the cloaca again.

If that doesn't work you can gently try putting it back in the vent with a cu-tip. This is only after a good 20-30 minute soak in concentrated sugar water. (i had to do this multiple times and it can be stressful for you and the dragon so be careful) Don't shove it, gently make a little room on the side of the vent and it should retract. This should be a last resort kind of thing though.

IF this happens more than once, you need to get it to a vet. If there is blood or the tissue is turning black, take it to the vet.

If you can get the upload to work, can you use imgr, google+ or some other picture hosting site to show the tissue?

AuntieP

Original Poster
Unfortunately, my beardie died before I could get him to a vet out of town. Thank you for all your help. I very much appreciate it.

AuntieP

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that your dragon did not make it. :cry: Prolapses are very serious & usually need immediate medical condition. I am so sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom